NTO

Default How to prohibit saving a file in Word 97?

I have a custom template in Word 97 that generates a word document. I want
the user to be able to save the document once it's produced, but I don't want
the user to be able to save the template on a disk, hard drive, etc. Can
anyone help? Also, if this can be done in Word 97, if user loads up the
template into a later version of Word, will the "save limitation" established
function the same?
Jay Freedman

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 08:59:07 -0800, NTO
wrote:

I have a custom template in Word 97 that generates a word document. I want
the user to be able to save the document once it's produced, but I don't want
the user to be able to save the template on a disk, hard drive, etc. Can
anyone help? Also, if this can be done in Word 97, if user loads up the
template into a later version of Word, will the "save limitation" established
function the same?

In that template, create macros named FileSave, FileSaveAs, and
FileSaveAll, as described in
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Macros...tSavePrint.htm. These
macros can be empty (do nothing), or you can put in a MsgBox saying
that saving is prohibited. You'll also need the AutoClose macro
mentioned there, to intercept the closing of the document; in that
macro, set ActiveDocument.Saved = True so Word thinks the document
doesn't need to be saved before closing.

These methods will continue to work in later versions of Word.

All of this is easy to bypass, though, by setting the security level
to High so that all macros are disabled. There's really nothing you
can do about that.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Jay Freedman

Yes, the answer is basically the same except that macros in documents
are guaranteed to trigger the macro warning on opening, while those in
properly installed (or digitally signed) templates won't.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman