Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mark Churchill

Default Word 2003 Smart Quotes Issue

Wrong Smartquote displayed after newline

In a new document type the following:

Fooshift-enter
"Bar"

The first quote ends up as a closing quote after you type it, and seems to
stay like that (even after save and re-open).

ver 11.5604.5606

Not that critical obviously, I can just insert the line break after I type
"Bar".
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mark Churchill

After more fiddling, behaviour for "smart" quotes seems to be just based on
whitespace, with the linebreak (shift-enter), probably incorrectly not being
treated as whitespace.

"Mark Churchill" wrote:

Wrong Smartquote displayed after newline

In a new document type the following:

Fooshift-enter
"Bar"

The first quote ends up as a closing quote after you type it, and seems to
stay like that (even after save and re-open).

ver 11.5604.5606

Not that critical obviously, I can just insert the line break after I type
"Bar".

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I agree that this is annoying. Word often gets quotes wrong after dashes as
well. You can insert the quotes manually using the built-in keyboard
shortcuts (Ctrl+', " for closing double quote, Ctrl+`, " for opening double
quote).

"Mark Churchill" wrote:

Wrong Smartquote displayed after newline

In a new document type the following:

Fooshift-enter
"Bar"

The first quote ends up as a closing quote after you type it, and seems

stay like that (even after save and re-open).

ver 11.5604.5606

Not that critical obviously, I can just insert the line break after I

type
"Bar".

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I'm seeing that here, too.

"Uriel" wrote in message
I tried this in Word 11.6568.6568. That version does the quotes correctly.

"Mark Churchill" Mark wrote in

message
Wrong Smartquote displayed after newline

In a new document type the following:

Fooshift-enter
"Bar"

The first quote ends up as a closing quote after you type it, and seems to
stay like that (even after save and re-open).

ver 11.5604.5606

Not that critical obviously, I can just insert the line break after I type
"Bar".

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mark Churchill

Hmmm. I cant see any updates here (via SUS).

Probably some corporate policy bs. Oh well, no need to rock the boat :/

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I'm seeing that here, too.

"Uriel" wrote in message
I tried this in Word 11.6568.6568. That version does the quotes correctly.

"Mark Churchill" Mark wrote in

message
Wrong Smartquote displayed after newline

In a new document type the following:

Fooshift-enter
"Bar"

The first quote ends up as a closing quote after you type it, and seems to
stay like that (even after save and re-open).

ver 11.5604.5606

Not that critical obviously, I can just insert the line break after I type
"Bar".

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Uriel

Ah, you're making me reminisce to my corporate days, with the
floor-to-ceiling BS:

--------------------
One thing that was emblematic was a type of screensaver that possessed all
the PC's. It would abruptly fire into activity ... not when the machine was
idle, but while one was in the midst of typing. This seemed to be beyond the
control of the PC's own user because (as in many U.S. firms) PC's were
centrally controlled by some admin group and developers could not configure
their own machines. Developers lived with it, since it was easier than
dealing with the bureaucracy.

(excerpted from http://urielw.com/corp/8.htm )

"Mark Churchill" wrote in message
Hmmm. I cant see any updates here (via SUS).

Probably some corporate policy bs. Oh well, no need to rock the boat :/

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I'm seeing that here, too.

so
all may benefit.