Laura

Default How do I change the "Automatic" font color in Microsoft Word?

In the toolbar in Microsof Word, you can see the button that changes the font
color. If you click on the little arrow to its right, you see a drop-down
menu. In the menu there is a box saying "Automatic" and displaying what the
current automatic color is (usually black). I need to know how to change the
automatic color. Thank you.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do I change the "Automatic" font color in Microsoft Word?

Sure thing! Changing the default font color in Microsoft Word is actually quite simple. Here's how you can do it:
  1. Open a new or existing Word document.
  2. Click on the "Home" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  3. In the "Font" section of the ribbon, click on the small arrow in the bottom right corner to open the "Font" dialog box.
  4. In the "Font" dialog box, select the font color you want to use as your new default by clicking on it.
  5. Click on the "Set As Default" button in the bottom left corner of the "Font" dialog box.
  6. In the "Set Default Font" dialog box that appears, select the "All documents based on the Normal.dotm template?" option.
  7. Click on the "OK" button to save your changes.

That's it! Now, every new document you create in Word will use your new default font color instead of the previous "Automatic" color. Note that this change will only apply to new documents, not existing ones. If you want to change the font color in an existing document, you'll need to select the text you want to change and then choose a new font color from the "Font" section of the ribbon.
__________________
Greg Maxey

Laura,

The automatic color is determined by the "Windows Text" color set in Control
PanelDisplayAppearance. Changing this color will effect text color
globally in your windows applications.

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
See:

Laura wrote:
In the toolbar in Microsof Word, you can see the button that changes
the font color. If you click on the little arrow to its right, you
see a drop-down menu. In the menu there is a box saying "Automatic"
and displaying what the current automatic color is (usually black). I
need to know how to change the automatic color. Thank you.

CyberTaz

Hi Laura-

Just reading between the lines, if you _do not_ want to affect font color in
any program but Word, you can do so through FormatFont. Make whatever
specifications you wish, including font color, then click [Default] and
confirm Yes. Also, if you are prompted to save changes to normal.dot when you
Exit Word, confirm Yes again.

Note: This will _not_ change the Automatic color setting dictated by the
Windows Control Panel as Greg points out.

HTH |:)

Laura wrote:
In the toolbar in Microsof Word, you can see the button that changes
the font color. If you click on the little arrow to its right, you
see a drop-down menu. In the menu there is a box saying "Automatic"
and displaying what the current automatic color is (usually black). I
need to know how to change the automatic color. Thank you.

Greg

CyberTaz,

Good point. You have probably answered the the OPs intended question.

Klaus Linke

Also, the "Automatic" color becomes white if the background is very =
dark.
This is done automatically, and you don't have a chance to influence it, =
unless you specify the color (as CyberTaz described).

Regards,
Klaus

"Greg" wrote:
CyberTaz,
=20
Good point. You have probably answered the the OPs intended question.

Klaus Linke

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
Which is the whole idea of "Automatic" as opposed to black. But I =

don't
think the font color ever changes to anything other than black or =

white.

Except when you change the Windows text color in "appearance" as =
described by Greg... Then it'll change between that color and white =
(didn't know that, but tried now).

Klaus

Klaus Linke

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
Does the text actually print that color, too?

No, thankfully not. After all, it's only a Windows appearance setting.
Although "print preview" still shows the text colored (which it =
shouldn't, I guess).

Greetings,
Klaus