ricclizz

Default Modifying format to include my name with automatic page numbering.

I am typing a research paper in MLA format. I have inserted a page number in
the top right, but I also want to place my name before the number. How can I
accomplish this?
Stefan Blom

On the View menu, click Header and Footer; Word activates the
header/footer area and allows you to type text in it.

Note that if the page number was inserted via InsertPage Numbers, it
is actually located in a little frame. Adding text before the page
number will be easier if the page number itself is in the header
(footer).

You can delete the little frame and reinsert the page number via the
Insert Page Number button on the Header/Footer toolbar. As a result,
you can easily position the cursor before the page number field and
type your name (or any other text that you want there).

--
Stefan Blom

"ricclizz" wrote in message
I am typing a research paper in MLA format. I have inserted a page

number in
the top right, but I also want to place my name before the number.

How can I
accomplish this?

Daiya Mitchell

Instead of using Insert | Page Numbers, use View | Header/Footer and type
the text in.

On 4/3/05 9:45 PM, "ricclizz" wrote:

I am typing a research paper in MLA format. I have inserted a page number in
the top right, but I also want to place my name before the number. How can I
accomplish this?

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Although Daiya and Stefan's advice to remove the framed number and insert
your name and number in the header is excellent (and is the advice I would
give as well), note (for the record) that it *is* possible to add your name
without doing so. You can either type your name in the header and
right-align it (Ctrl+R) or you can actually type it inside the frame with
the number, which will expand to fit (you'll need to put some spaces or
punctuation between the name and number).

If you do remove the framed number, note that Word will have added a right
indent to the header paragraph to accommodate the framed page number. You
can deal with this before adding your name and page number by pressing
Ctrl+Q to reset the Header style to its default.

If you need to have your name above or below the page number, then I would
strongly advise that you get rid of the page number frame and use the header
paragraph exclusively. Note that it is not enough to delete the page number
alone; you must also get rid of the frame. For more on this, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...lyIndented.htm