Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rob van der Heijden Rob van der Heijden is offline

Default both sub- and superscript in one character space

The only way I know to do this would be the use of Microsoft equation. This
increases the linespacing however, which is what I don't want. Does anyone
have another solution?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

You could use an EQ field with the \a switch. For example, if you want
a superscript 4 aligned above a subscript 2, enter the field code

EQ \a (4,2)

Then select the whole thing and press Ctrl+F9 to make it a field. (You
can use the Insert Field dialog, but that's the long way.) You
probably also want to format the result with a smaller font size, say
9 pt.

If you use the same thing often, make it into an AutoText entry.

I tried this both with the field and with the equation editor, and not
only do they look identical (when I match the font sizes), but both of
them increase the line spacing the same amount. What you might do is
set the paragraph style's line spacing to a slightly larger value --
for 12 pt text, setting the line spacing to At Least 16 pt smoothes
out the differences, or you might try an Exact setting.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Sat, 1 Jul 2006 13:14:01 -0700, Rob van der Heijden
wrote:

The only way I know to do this would be the use of Microsoft equation. This
increases the linespacing however, which is what I don't want. Does anyone
have another solution?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rob van der Heijden Rob van der Heijden is offline

Thanks for the quick answer. This doesn't solve my problem however, because
the line spacing is increased in a similar amount with your solution. I'm
still wondering: is there no other way of doing this in Word? I really don't
want to compromise the layout of my entire thesis because of this.

wrote:

The only way I know to do this would be the use of Microsoft equation. This
increases the linespacing however, which is what I don't want. Does anyone
have another solution?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod macropod is offline

Hi Rob,

Try using an equation field coded as:
{EQ \o (a,b)}
where the 'a' is superscripted and the 'b' is subscripted.

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Rob van der Heijden" wrote in
message ...
The only way I know to do this would be the use of Microsoft equation.

This
increases the linespacing however, which is what I don't want. Does anyone
have another solution?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You maybe able to do it using Advance fields

{ advance \u # }x{advance \l # \d # }y {advance \u # \r # }

will, with the right values for # cause the x and y to appear on top of one
another, but you will need to play around varying the font size and the
values for the # to get it right without increasing the line spacing.

Personally, I think that the line spacing probably should be increased to
accommodate what you are after.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Rob van der Heijden" wrote in
message ...

wrote:

The only way I know to do this would be the use of Microsoft equation.
This
increases the linespacing however, which is what I don't want. Does
anyone
have another solution?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

In Jay's example, format the font characteristic of the 4 as subscript and
the 2 as superscript (this is not a typo) and set the line spacing of the
paragraph to 'exactly whatever is appropriate for your font size'. The EQ
field will close the space between the smaller sized 4 and 2 and they will
still fit with standard line spacing. Eg for 12 point Arial set a line
spacing of 14 points

wrote:

The only way I know to do this would be the use of Microsoft
equation. This increases the linespacing however, which is what I
don't want. Does anyone have another solution?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rob van der Heijden Rob van der Heijden is offline

Yes, this helps! For the interested people, the final field code is used
looks like:
EQ \o\al (\s\do(a),\s\up(b))

Thank you Jay and Macropod!

"macropod" wrote:

Hi Rob,

Try using an equation field coded as:
{EQ \o (a,b)}
where the 'a' is superscripted and the 'b' is subscripted.

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Rob van der Heijden" wrote in
message ...
The only way I know to do this would be the use of Microsoft equation.

This
increases the linespacing however, which is what I don't want. Does anyone
have another solution?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rob van der Heijden Rob van der Heijden is offline

Thanks to all of you for the suggestions. I will use the solution of
Macropod, my field code looks like:

EQ \o\al (\s\do(a),\s\up4(b))

Setting the font size to 7, this fits with normal text font size 11 and
single linespacing.

"macropod" wrote:

Hi Rob,

Try using an equation field coded as:
{EQ \o (a,b)}
where the 'a' is superscripted and the 'b' is subscripted.

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Rob van der Heijden" wrote in
message ...
The only way I know to do this would be the use of Microsoft equation.

This
increases the linespacing however, which is what I don't want. Does anyone
have another solution?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod macropod is offline

Hi Rob,

If you simply superscript/subscript the font, based on the standard point
sizes, you don't need to add the extra coding for that to the field. A lot
simpler IMHO.

Cheers

--
macropod