Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Michael Michael is offline

Default Grey line under headings in Outline view

Hi,

Word 2003.

In Outline View when a heading is collapsed there's a squiggley grey line
under part of the heading text, similar to the spelling or grammar lines. A
similar post in the powerpoint group says this is on purpose, to tell me the
heading's collapsed.

Can I disable this feature? It looks messy since it doesn't completely
underline the heading, and it overlaps the text slightly so makes it harder
to read. Really pretty awekward.

I'd rather see a different method of notifying this, perhaps a change in
color for the 'plus' button to the left of headings.

cheers
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

No, there is no way to change this. Outline view is just an editing view;
its appearance isn't meant to be WYSIWYG.

http://word.mvps.org

"michael" wrote in message
Hi,

Word 2003.

In Outline View when a heading is collapsed there's a squiggley grey line
under part of the heading text, similar to the spelling or grammar lines.
similar post in the powerpoint group says this is on purpose, to tell me
the
heading's collapsed.

Can I disable this feature? It looks messy since it doesn't completely
underline the heading, and it overlaps the text slightly so makes it
harder
to read. Really pretty awekward.

I'd rather see a different method of notifying this, perhaps a change in
color for the 'plus' button to the left of headings.

cheers

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Michael Michael is offline

OK, good to know so I can at least force myself to make peace with it. I'm
not worried about it interfering with printing or such. It just makes outline
mode a little annoying by making the text harder, less enjoyable to read.

BTW, I've started using outline mode for things like todo lists so I can
easily collapse all the headings and get overviews, etc. Is there a mode
better suited to this that you know of?