Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
snibbor16 snibbor16 is offline

Default Combining Styles on Same TOC Line

My document has two styles, "attachment" and "attachment title". (attachment
equals the 'attachment number' and attachmen title equals the title for the
attachment.) when i create a TOC, it places style "attachment" on one line
and style "attachment title" on the second line. Is there any way to
automatically have the TOC generated by combining style "attachment" and
"attachment title" on the SAME LINE? I realize I can generate a macro to
"fix" however after I right click to update my TOC - I want to be done - not
have to run yet a nother macro.
EXAMPLE:
Do NOT want:
Attachment 1 .....45
Title for attachment 1 .....45
DO WANT:
Attachment 1, Title for Attachment 1 .....45
THANKS FOR ANY HELP!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

I dont think this is possible except maybe with a macro to force it after
each TOC refresh.
Can I ask why the need for two styles? Is it because in the content of your
document you have the attachment number on a different line from the
attachment Title? If not, you can do what you want with just one style and
get the TOC looking how you describe.
See the following on how to create a numbering style for your attachments:
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...ppendixes.html
Come back if you need any further assistance.
DeanH

"snibbor16" wrote:

My document has two styles, "attachment" and "attachment title". (attachment
equals the 'attachment number' and attachmen title equals the title for the
attachment.) when i create a TOC, it places style "attachment" on one line
and style "attachment title" on the second line. Is there any way to
automatically have the TOC generated by combining style "attachment" and
"attachment title" on the SAME LINE? I realize I can generate a macro to
"fix" however after I right click to update my TOC - I want to be done - not
have to run yet a nother macro.
EXAMPLE:
Do NOT want:
Attachment 1 .....45
Title for attachment 1 .....45
DO WANT:
Attachment 1, Title for Attachment 1 .....45
THANKS FOR ANY HELP!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
snibbor16 snibbor16 is offline

DeanH -
Thank you for the reply. Yes, The Attachment # is on one line, and the title
is on another. I found the "InsertStyleSeparator" command and used in a
macro. Works great. I was hopeful to come up with something, possible switch,
so right click/update TOC was all that was necessary as I added new
attachments to my document or needed to update the TOC.
Thank you!
lmr

"snibbor16" wrote:

My document has two styles, "attachment" and "attachment title". (attachment
equals the 'attachment number' and attachmen title equals the title for the
attachment.) when i create a TOC, it places style "attachment" on one line
and style "attachment title" on the second line. Is there any way to
automatically have the TOC generated by combining style "attachment" and
"attachment title" on the SAME LINE? I realize I can generate a macro to
"fix" however after I right click to update my TOC - I want to be done - not
have to run yet a nother macro.
EXAMPLE:
Do NOT want:
Attachment 1 .....45
Title for attachment 1 .....45
DO WANT:
Attachment 1, Title for Attachment 1 .....45
THANKS FOR ANY HELP!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The way I do this is to include only the "attachment title" style in the
TOC. Map it to a TOC style that isn't otherwise being used. Then apply
numbering in the form "Attachment #" to the TOC style.

"snibbor16" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
snibbor16 snibbor16 is offline

Suzanne -
THANK YOU! Worked perfect!!!
Linda

"snibbor16" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You're very welcome. There is more than one way to skin a cat, and I enjoy
finding workarounds for TOCs (as seen in
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/TOCTips.htm).

"snibbor16" wrote in message
Suzanne -
THANK YOU! Worked perfect!!!