Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Caroline Caroline is offline

Default Right Click Autotext Menu

In Word 2003 you could insert placeholders into documents where you would
right click to be able to select from a group of AutoText entries. Is there a
similar function in 2007?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Word 2007 has new functionality that makes this a little easier than in
previous versions. New form controls, called content controls, were added
and one of them is called "Building Blocks Gallery". Content Controls are
found on the Developer tab. If you don't see this tab, click the Office
Button, click Word Options, and in the Popular section select "Show
Developer tab in the Ribbon".

What you want to do is create new Building Blocks (formerly called AutoText)
and associate them with a specific Category and Gallery. Then insert a BB
control (select it if necessary) and on the Developer tab click Properties.
You'll see where to select the gallery and category you assigned to the BBs
at the bottom.

If you don't know how to create new Building Blocks take a look at this
article:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/he...341311033.aspx

One drawback to using content controls is they can't be saved in the 97-2003
file format. So if you need to use the earlier file format you need to stick
with the old method, using an AutoTextList field, as in previous versions.
Here's an article that contains the basic instructions which still work for
Word 2007 with the exception of creating new styles:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQS/TblsFldsFms/AutoTextList.htm

To create a new style in Word 2007 in step 6 of the instructions,
right-click the selected text, point at Styles and then click "Save
selection as a new Quick Style". Another minor change is in Step 13. When
creating the new BB assign it to the AutoText gallery before clicking OK.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Melton
What is a Microsoft MVP? http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/gp/mvpfaqs

Guides for the Office 2007 Interface:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/tr...295841033.aspx

"Caroline" wrote in message
In Word 2003 you could insert placeholders into documents where you would
right click to be able to select from a group of AutoText entries. Is
there a
similar function in 2007?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Caroline Caroline is offline

Thanks

No matter what I try though, when setting up the AutoTextList it shows all
the AutoText entries, not just the ones in the style I've set up. Where could
I be going wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Caroline Caroline is offline

Hi Suzanna,

I thought that might be the problem, so I started right from the start on a
differnt PC, and I'm sure I've followed the process step by step, and I'm
sure I'm using the right quick style.

Thank you
Caroline