Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
kim kim is offline

Default Getting Started Tab Download for Word 2007

I discovered the "Getting Started Tab" download for Word, PowerPoint and
Excel 2007 and found it very useful, but when helping a colleague install it,
she received this error message "a network error occurred while attepting to
read from a file c:\documents & settings...... and the add in does not appear.
What is causing this error?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

When downloading it, are you saving it to a location on your hard drive, or
are you clicking Run? If the latter, then try saving the target to your hard
drive, and then install it only after the .msi file has been downloaded.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Kim" wrote in message
I discovered the "Getting Started Tab" download for Word, PowerPoint and
Excel 2007 and found it very useful, but when helping a colleague install
it,
she received this error message "a network error occurred while attepting
read from a file c:\documents & settings...... and the add in does not
appear.
What is causing this error?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Seamus Seamus is offline

This problem only seems to happen to XP users, Vista doesn't have this issue.
The "Getting Started" tab needs two things in order to work properly under
Windows XP:

1.) .NET 2.0 installed
2.) .NET Programmability Support installed

..NET 2.0 you can find at www.microsoft.com by searching for ".NET 2.0
Redistributable" or through Windows Update. The .NET Programmability Support
is an option in the advanced installation screens when you install Office
2007. To enable this feature, go to Add/Remove Programs and click on Office
2007. Click "change" if it's there, otherwise click "uninstall" and then on
the next screen look for a "change" or an "add/remove features" option. From
there, you need to find the installed components for Office 2007. Make sure
that ".NET Programmability Support" is selected to run on your computer (you
may have to dig a bit to find it). After this you will need to probably
uninstall and reinstall the "Getting Started" bars. They should now work
just fine.

"Kim" wrote:

I discovered the "Getting Started Tab" download for Word, PowerPoint and
Excel 2007 and found it very useful, but when helping a colleague install it,
she received this error message "a network error occurred while attepting to
read from a file c:\documents & settings...... and the add in does not appear.
What is causing this error?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
kim kim is offline

We determined the problem was her user assignment. She was originally setup
as a "power user" which caused the problem. When we switched her to
"administrative user" it worked fine. Thanks for your responses.
Kim

"Kim" wrote:

I discovered the "Getting Started Tab" download for Word, PowerPoint and
Excel 2007 and found it very useful, but when helping a colleague install it,
she received this error message "a network error occurred while attepting to
read from a file c:\documents & settings...... and the add in does not appear.
What is causing this error?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BOWDOC BOWDOC is offline

I too discovered the "Getting Started Tab" download for Word, PowerPoint and
Excel 2007 and found it very useful. I successfully installed it on my
Laptop running Vista Home Premium but could not install it on my Desktop PC
running Vista Home Premium also. I saved the download to my hard drive and
again tried unsuccessfully. My Control Panel 'Programs Applet' list that the
Get Started Tab Add-In has been installed, but the 'Microsoft Corporation'
folder in the j'Program Files' folder remains empty and the 'Get Started Tab'
will not appear in Word, Excel or PowerPoint on my Desktop. When I try to
re-install it, I too get the error "a network error occurred while attepting
to read from a file c:\documents & settings...... and the add in does not
appear.
What is causing this error? Any help would be appreciated.

"Kim" wrote:

I discovered the "Getting Started Tab" download for Word, PowerPoint and
Excel 2007 and found it very useful, but when helping a colleague install it,
she received this error message "a network error occurred while attepting to
read from a file c:\documents & settings...... and the add in does not appear.
What is causing this error?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
kim kim is offline

Check to see what your rights are. If you are considered in the
administrators group it should work, but when our person was set up as a
Power User, it gave the same error. You can find that from the Control Panel,
User Accounts.

Another warning about the Getting Started Tab. I found it very useful but
over time I started notice my Word slowing down when I opening and closing
Word 2007. After checking this listserv, I found a suggestion to remove the
add-ins. Rather than remove it, I just disabled the Getting Started add-in
and sure enough, my Word loaded quickly again. I then re-enabled the Getting
Started add-in and it seems to be fine so far, but it must build up cache or
something. If it starts loading slowly again, I'll disable or remove it. I'm
getting at the point finally where I'm not using it as much. I actually am
enjoying 2007 now!