Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
B. Levien B. Levien is offline

Default Word 2002 opening Word 2003 document

We have users in the office who are on Word 2003, and some who are on Word
2002. One person created the document in Word 2003 (from scratch) and the
compatibility is set for Word 2002. The document was single-spaced, with a
page break between page one and page 2. She emailed the document to another
user on Word 2002 (View set for Print Layout). The original of the document
was saved on our Network. The other user opened the document, and page 1
appeared to be double-spaced, an entire paragraph appeared to be "missing".
If the view was changed to Normal, then all the text showed properly, and you
could see the page break. If you selected all text and cleared formatting,
all text was there. The Word 2002 user then opened the document on the
network, and the "weird" view was the same. I opened the same document, and
it appeared as it should on my screen (I have Word 2003).

This is a basic document, with one bit of Word Art (draft), one page break,
and one small table on the second page. There is no numbering, no page
numbering, no footnotes, endnotes, etc. etc.

Has anyone any idea what can cause this? Should Word 2002 user be upgraded
to Word 2003?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP- Cindy M  -WordMVP- is offline

Hi ?B?Qi4gTGV2aWVu?=,

By "compatibility set for Word 2002" do you mean Tools/Options/Save/Disable
features... or something else?

Check in Tools/Templates and Add-ins whether "Automatically update styles" is
activated in the document?

[...]

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org