Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
gbp

Default window title file name

When I open any word document the title of the document is changing to
"Document1" instead of the file name.
Can anyone help me with this issue for Office 2003.

Detailed Problem

If you open a document called "request form.doc" , the title of the window
should be "request form". But my Word window title is changing to "Document1"
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I suspect that you are opening these documents from Windows Explorer instead
of Word and that the file associations have been damaged so that the default
action for documents is New instead of Open. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/ReRegisterWord.htm for instructions on
reregistering Word to reset the file associations. If this is not the
answer, then you may have a virus that is causing Word to save all files as
templates instead of documents.

"gbp" wrote in message
When I open any word document the title of the document is changing to
"Document1" instead of the file name.
Can anyone help me with this issue for Office 2003.

Detailed Problem

If you open a document called "request form.doc" , the title of the

window
should be "request form". But my Word window title is changing to

"Document1"

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
gbp

Thanks Suzanne,
I tried to fix it from the explorer folder options , it didn't work.
Then I tried your winword /r command to register the word.
Now the title shows the file name.

"gbp" wrote in message
When I open any word document the title of the document is changing to
"Document1" instead of the file name.
Can anyone help me with this issue for Office 2003.

Detailed Problem

If you open a document called "request form.doc" , the title of the

window
should be "request form". But my Word window title is changing to

"Document1"

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
gbp

Suzanne
Now I have a new problem , which I never had in Office 2000 , or word 95 /
97...
I open a first document a.doc by double clicking the file , then minimize
the window.
After that I open a second document b.doc by double clicking the file.
The first word document window gets restored when the second document gets
opened.
This is a strange behaviour that I never saw.
Do you know the solution ?
Really appreciates your help.

"gbp" wrote in message
When I open any word document the title of the document is changing to
"Document1" instead of the file name.
Can anyone help me with this issue for Office 2003.

Detailed Problem

If you open a document called "request form.doc" , the title of the

window
should be "request form". But my Word window title is changing to

"Document1"

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

Those older versions of Word did not have the Windows in the taskbar
facility of Word 2002/3, so that (normal) behaviour couldn't occur. To make
Word behave like the older versions - tools options view uncheck
Windows in taskbar.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I suspect that you are opening these documents from Windows
Explorer instead of Word and that the file associations have been
damaged so that the default action for documents is New instead of
Open. See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/ReRegisterWord.htm
for instructions on reregistering Word to reset the file
associations. If this is not the answer, then you may have a virus
that is causing Word to save all files as templates instead of
documents.

newsgroup so all may benefit.

"gbp" wrote in message
When I open any word document the title of the document is
changing to "Document1" instead of the file name.
Can anyone help me with this issue for Office 2003.

Detailed Problem

If you open a document called "request form.doc" , the title of
the window should be "request form". But my Word window title is
changing to "Document1"

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
gbp

If I uncheck "windows in the taskbar" all the windows open in one single
window.
I would like to keep that option. I am refering to Office 2000. Where you
open each word file in a separate window and minimize it. In Office 2003 when
I open a document the following is happening
1.it restores a minimized word document
2.then invokes a new word window
3.the document is openend in the new word window.
4. Now I have two word documents that are visible on the desktop.

I wanted only the second one to be on my screen.
Is there a work around

"gbp" wrote in message
When I open any word document the title of the document is
changing to "Document1" instead of the file name.
Can anyone help me with this issue for Office 2003.

Detailed Problem

If you open a document called "request form.doc" , the title of
the window should be "request form". But my Word window title is
changing to "Document1"

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

The Windows in taskbar option was introduced with Word XP (2002). It was not
present in Word 2000. If you had separate Word windows open in Word 2000,
they were separate independent instances of Word. Word 2000 operated like
Word 2003 with the taskbar option unchecked. The separate windows in Word
2003 are part of the same instance of Word and behave like you have
described.

"gbp" wrote in message
When I open any word document the title of the document is
changing to "Document1" instead of the file name.
Can anyone help me with this issue for Office 2003.

Detailed Problem

If you open a document called "request form.doc" , the title of
the window should be "request form". But my Word window title is
changing to "Document1"

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The separate windows in Word 2000 were *not* separate instances of Word.
Quoting from a MS training doc:

"Other Office 2000 applications (Microsoft Access, Excel and PowerPoint)
handle SDI slightly different [sic] than Word 2000. They utilize a modified
version of SDI. Documents are trapped in an MDI frame, but are listed in the
task bar individually. You can ALT + TAB through the documents."

"SDI cannot be disabled in Word 2000 because it is the basis for the Word
2000 application and uses 'true' SDI. However, other Office applications
that do not utilize 'true' SDI can disable it by removing the checkmark next
to the option Windows in Taskbar."

"gbp" wrote in message
When I open any word document the title of the document is
changing to "Document1" instead of the file name.
Can anyone help me with this issue for Office 2003.

Detailed Problem

If you open a document called "request form.doc" , the title of
the window should be "request form". But my Word window title is
changing to "Document1"

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Well, it's been several years since any of us used Word 2000, I suspect. I
never used it at all and would never have been able to support it if not for
the training docs MS sent us before it launched.

"gbp" wrote in message
When I open any word document the title of the document is
changing to "Document1" instead of the file name.
Can anyone help me with this issue for Office 2003.

Detailed Problem

If you open a document called "request form.doc" , the title
of the window should be "request form". But my Word window
title is changing to "Document1"

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Hmmm. I haven't used Word 2000 since, oh, yesterday g.

======
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message ...
Well, it's been several years since any of us used Word 2000, I suspect. I
never used it at all and would never have been able to support it if not for
the training docs MS sent us before it launched.

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Hi GBP,

I'm not entirely clear if you're still also using Word 2000 or only Word 2003 at this point. You can add the 2003 behavior to Word
2000 through the use of an add in
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/customization/SDIMDI.htm

In Word 2003 on Windows XP you have a couple of options. If you want only a single Word 'icon' on the Windows Taskbar even with the
'Windows in Taskbar option' turned on in Word 2003 you can 'hide' the separate icons, (actually group them) by setting the taskbar
options for Windows XP (right click on the 'Start button' and choose properties), or with the 'Windows in Taskbar' option turned off
you can use the Word Windows menu to switch between open documents, and each document has its own minimize/restore icon set within
the single Word 'frame' (pretty much the same as Word 97 at that point).

=======

--
Let us know if this helped you,

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

For Everyday MS Office tips to "use right away" -
http://microsoft.com/events/series/a...andtricks.mspx

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
gbp

Bob, Suzanne,Graham,
Thanks for your responses.
I have been using the word 2000 untill three months back :-).
Now I have 2003.
Your solution is helpful but I am afraid I failed to explain the issue.

I open three documents by double clicking them .
Then I minimize all of them.
Now I open a fourth word document by double clicking it.

Here are three things that I expect as result of that action

1. I expect the document to be open in its own window.
2. I also expect this window to be active window.
3. Finally I expect all the other three minimized ones to stay minimized.

The first two are as expected but the third one is not.
While opening the fourth document the word is restoring the third document
window
then it is invoking another window with fourth one.

Put it simply I see that both the third and fourth ones restored back to the
desktop.
And fourth one is being the active one.

I suspect that the file association has a role in this.
I fixed the issue by following Suzanne's help ( bur running winword /r).
Now the file association's are back.

The word for some reason invokes the last minimized one then opens the
current one.

What should be the default action ?
Is it "New " or "Open"

Is this the right action for Open
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\WINWORD.EXE" /n /dde

" wrote in message ...
If I uncheck "windows in the taskbar" all the windows open in one single
window.
I would like to keep that option. I am refering to Office 2000. Where you
open each word file in a separate window and minimize it. In Office 2003 when
I open a document the following is happening
1.it restores a minimized word document
2.then invokes a new word window
3.the document is openend in the new word window.
4. Now I have two word documents that are visible on the desktop.

I wanted only the second one to be on my screen.
Is there a work around
--
Let us know if this helped you,

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

For Everyday MS Office tips to "use right away" -
http://microsoft.com/events/series/a...andtricks.mspx

How can you display the path of the file in the title bar of Word UtilityTech Microsoft Word Help 1 October 5th 05 06:55 PM
How do I prevent Word from locking the file? Scott Bass New Users 0 October 5th 05 05:20 PM
open file talbert Microsoft Word Help 1 May 3rd 05 03:14 PM
How do I add a title page to an existing word file? Still Learning Page Layout 1 February 8th 05 11:14 PM
why does my new word xp file window flash and lock up? miki Microsoft Word Help 2 November 24th 04 08:54 PM