Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Idaho Word Man Idaho Word Man is offline

Default Why Does it Repaginate On Format Change?

I'm running Word 2003 in Windows XP Professional (5.1). I have created a
150-page document with a 90-page table.

In one column of the table, I needed to add a hanging indent to about 1/4 of
the cells. I didn't bother to create a new named style for the hanging
indent; I just set an indent on one cell and then used Ctrl-Shift-C and
Ctrl-Shift-V to copy the formatting to subsequent cells.

Now, whenever I paste the formatting to a new cell, I get a message that
says "Word is repaginating . . ." and I need to wait a few seconds until the
repagination is complete. Anybody out there know if there's a way to avoid
this repagination?

Thanks,

Fred
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Switch to Normal view; then go to Tools Options View and uncheck
Background Repagination. (This option is checked and grayed out when you're
in Print Layout view.)

For other hints, see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/FastTables.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Idaho Word Man wrote:
I'm running Word 2003 in Windows XP Professional (5.1). I have
created a 150-page document with a 90-page table.

In one column of the table, I needed to add a hanging indent to about
1/4 of the cells. I didn't bother to create a new named style for the
hanging indent; I just set an indent on one cell and then used
Ctrl-Shift-C and Ctrl-Shift-V to copy the formatting to subsequent
cells.

Now, whenever I paste the formatting to a new cell, I get a message
that says "Word is repaginating . . ." and I need to wait a few
seconds until the repagination is complete. Anybody out there know
if there's a way to avoid this repagination?

Thanks,

Fred

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Idaho Word Man Idaho Word Man is offline

Thanks. Other than the fact that the option was on the General tab (not the
View tab), that did the trick. I'll need to get used to working in Normal
view for a while, but this speeds things up quite a bit.

Fred

Idaho Word Man wrote:
I'm running Word 2003 in Windows XP Professional (5.1). I have
created a 150-page document with a 90-page table.

In one column of the table, I needed to add a hanging indent to about
1/4 of the cells. I didn't bother to create a new named style for the
hanging indent; I just set an indent on one cell and then used
Ctrl-Shift-C and Ctrl-Shift-V to copy the formatting to subsequent
cells.

Now, whenever I paste the formatting to a new cell, I get a message
that says "Word is repaginating . . ." and I need to wait a few
seconds until the repagination is complete. Anybody out there know
if there's a way to avoid this repagination?

Thanks,

Fred

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Hmm, sorry, sometimes the fingers go faster than the brain.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Switch to Normal view; then go to Tools Options View and uncheck
Background Repagination. (This option is checked and grayed out when
you're in Print Layout view.)

For other hints, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/FastTables.htm.

--