Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
joseph

Default How do I edit a bookmark?

I have a document that uses bookmarks to insert the version of an
application. I cannot edit these bookmarks. I've tried right-clicking the
bookmark and selecting the Edit option, but it doesn't contain the number
that I need to change. I assume there is a master entry somewhere, but I
cannot find it.

Can someone help me?
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do I edit a bookmark?

To edit a bookmark in Microsoft Word, follow these steps:
  1. Make sure that you have the document open that contains the bookmark you want to edit.
  2. Go to the Insert tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  3. Click on the Bookmark button in the Links section of the ribbon.
  4. In the Bookmark dialog box that appears, you should see a list of all the bookmarks in your document. Select the bookmark you want to edit from this list.
  5. Once you have selected the bookmark, click on the Delete button to remove it.
  6. Now, you can insert a new bookmark with the updated information. To do this, place your cursor where you want the bookmark to be inserted, and then go back to the Bookmark dialog box.
  7. Click on the Add button to create a new bookmark.
  8. In the Bookmark dialog box, give your new bookmark a name that is easy to remember and that reflects the updated information you want to include.
  9. Click on the Add button to create the new bookmark.
  10. Finally, save your changes to the document.

That's it! Your bookmark should now be updated with the new information. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod

Hi Joseph,

What to you see if you click on the 'version' field and press Shift-F9? If
it's picking up a value from somewhere else, you should see some braces
(i.e. '{ }') with some text between them.

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"joseph" wrote in message
news
I have a document that uses bookmarks to insert the version of an
application. I cannot edit these bookmarks. I've tried right-clicking the
bookmark and selecting the Edit option, but it doesn't contain the number
that I need to change. I assume there is a master entry somewhere, but I
cannot find it.

Can someone help me?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
joseph

When I hit shift-F9 all that appears is the version number. I can change it
there, but that change is not carried through the document.

"macropod" wrote:

Hi Joseph,

What to you see if you click on the 'version' field and press Shift-F9? If
it's picking up a value from somewhere else, you should see some braces
(i.e. '{ }') with some text between them.

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"joseph" wrote in message
news
I have a document that uses bookmarks to insert the version of an
application. I cannot edit these bookmarks. I've tried right-clicking the
bookmark and selecting the Edit option, but it doesn't contain the number
that I need to change. I assume there is a master entry somewhere, but I
cannot find it.

Can someone help me?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
joseph

Everything I've found, web-wise and Word Help, on Bookmarks doesn't really
apply to what I have here. This is how the field appears:
{ REF Version \* MERGEFORMAT}

When I press shift-F9 I get the version number (1.2). I'm wondering if this
is an actual bookmark, but I am clueless as to how to update the field. The
right-click menu has an Edit function, but the screen that comes up refers to
Bookmarks and does not present a field for updating this version number.

"macropod" wrote:

Hi Joseph,

What to you see if you click on the 'version' field and press Shift-F9?

If
it's picking up a value from somewhere else, you should see some braces
(i.e. '{ }') with some text between them.

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"joseph" wrote in message
news I have a document that uses bookmarks to insert the version of an
application. I cannot edit these bookmarks. I've tried right-clicking

the
bookmark and selecting the Edit option, but it doesn't contain the

number
that I need to change. I assume there is a master entry somewhere, but

cannot find it.

Can someone help me?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod

Hi Joseph,

OK, so what happens when you press F5 (Goto), choose 'bookmark' and input
'Version'? It should take you to your so-called 'master entry'. Edit that
one, then press Ctrl-A followed by F9 and all the 'Version' cross-reference
entries should update

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you see the same thing when you toggle the field code, then it is not

field.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.