Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RichD RichD is offline

Default Word 2007 Menu Problem

Running Vista and just installed Office 2007 (Home and Student edition)

1. When I click on Open or Save As I get a Folder Tree, not the standard
Word menu (I hope I am using the correct term for the dialog box I am looking
for). The Tree is the same as the Tree you see in Windows Explorer.

2. How can I get the traditional menu? Without that menu I have lost my
ability to use the "My Places Bar" upon which I was greatly dependent. I have
the Help instructions for using My Places in Word 2007 but the menu view does
not permit me to implement those instructions.

Please work with me if you do not understand my problem as this is VERY
important to me. I have over 14,000 Word files in hundreds of folders and I
need to quickly set up the My Places list (which I can't do because I don't
have the traditional menu setup but merely a Tree.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
maurice maurice is offline

If you choose Save As you get the dialog right?
Under the word [Organize] you see the "Favorite Links". You can drag any
folder to that space and it will create a shortcut to that folder. It might
be that you have to expand the space a little by moving the folders titlebar
down a little. The favorite links option can be compared with the MyPlaces
option in the older versions.

hth
--
Maurice Ausum

"RichD" wrote:

Running Vista and just installed Office 2007 (Home and Student edition)

1. When I click on Open or Save As I get a Folder Tree, not the standard
Word menu (I hope I am using the correct term for the dialog box I am looking
for). The Tree is the same as the Tree you see in Windows Explorer.

2. How can I get the traditional menu? Without that menu I have lost my
ability to use the "My Places Bar" upon which I was greatly dependent. I have
the Help instructions for using My Places in Word 2007 but the menu view does
not permit me to implement those instructions.

Please work with me if you do not understand my problem as this is VERY
important to me. I have over 14,000 Word files in hundreds of folders and I
need to quickly set up the My Places list (which I can't do because I don't
have the traditional menu setup but merely a Tree.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RichD RichD is offline

That's great advice Maurice. I took it and it worked perfectly. I am happy
with your solution and thank you for it.

But I hardly slept last night, continually wondering why I have lost my
standard menus. If anyone knows, please pass it on to me as it REALLY bothers
me.