Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JonathanPDX JonathanPDX is offline

Default Word 2007

Some of our users experience problems where the temporary Normal.dotm
template file created at the startup of Word (~$rmal.dotm) is not being
deleted when Word closes as it is supposed to. Once it is in existence, it
will not go away unless manually deleted. I have seem some as old as 9
months. These will invariably cause problems at one point or another.

We are using WorkSite (Interwoven) Document Management System add-in as well
as a few others.

Has anyone else encountered this issue?

It there a way for Word to check to see if the temporary template file
exists when it opens, and if so, delete it and create a current copy?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Hi Jonathan,

That particular file isn't a copy of the template; it's an "owner
file" that Word creates to prevent the template from being opened by
more than one user at a time. The various types of temporary files are
explained at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=211632.

It really should not cause any problems if the file continues to exist
when Word closes, as some other kinds of temp files can.

If you want to automate the cleanup -- not in Word but outside it --
see http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm.
--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 12:29:01 -0700, JonathanPDX
wrote:

Some of our users experience problems where the temporary Normal.dotm
template file created at the startup of Word (~$rmal.dotm) is not being
deleted when Word closes as it is supposed to. Once it is in existence, it
will not go away unless manually deleted. I have seem some as old as 9
months. These will invariably cause problems at one point or another.

We are using WorkSite (Interwoven) Document Management System add-in as well
as a few others.

Has anyone else encountered this issue?

It there a way for Word to check to see if the temporary template file
exists when it opens, and if so, delete it and create a current copy?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jonathan McRobert Jonathan McRobert is offline

Thanks for the information, Jay.

Theoretically, I might agree that these files should not cause any problems,
however, their elimination somehow resolves a host of problems encountered
by users when those files exist. Not only Normal.dotm (~$rmal.dotm) but
Normal.dot (~$rmal.dot) and Emailnormal.dotm (~$ailnormal.dotm) as well.

I looked at the various types of temp files created by Word article you
linked to, yet there was no mention of files with the "~$" prefix. In fact,
I can't seem to find much reference to them at all...anywhere.

I appreciate your help!

Jonathan

url:http://www.ureader.com/msg/100459058.aspx
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jonathan McRobert Jonathan McRobert is offline

Oops...sorry, Jay. I saw the paragraph about the ~$ after the fact. I was
searching for the wrong thing (fat finger syndrome!)

url:http://www.ureader.com/msg/100459058.aspx