KM Wagner

Default Mail Merge with separate Source Header document

This answer was very helpful. Thank you. Now I have another question. Some
of my mail merge documents are formatted to use separate headers and others
are not. How do I remove the separate header function from the latter?

Also, I am having difficulty using Excel as a data source in mail merge. Do
you have any tips that would help?

Thank you.

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

Yes, but there are some differences in behaviour. I suggest you use
Tools|Customize|Commands, select All Commands, look for all the MailMerge
related ones in the list, and drag the ones you need to a toolbar or menu.

--
Peter Jamieson

"PLCarr" wrote in message
In previous versions of Word (up to 2000. not sure about XP) it was

possible
to use a separate document as a source for the field names when using a

Word
Document as a data source. It was called the Header source document.

This seems t have disappeared from Word 2003.

Is it still possible to use a separate Header Source in Word 2003?

Peter Jamieson

Sorry, I didn't see your follow-up.

How do I remove the separate header function from the latter?

I think the only way to do this is to convert the document back into a
normal Word document (i.e. not a mail merge main document) e.g. using the
first button on the Mailmerge toolbar or in the Mail Merge Helper (I have
found that the latter does not always work in this case). If you do this,
you will lose all the details of the data source as well, including any
filters and sorts, so you will need to restore all those. But merge fields
remain.

Also, I am having difficulty using Excel as a data source in mail merge.
Do
you have any tips that would help?

What kind of problems? It is probably worth using google groups to search
the messages in this newsgroup for questions and answers about excel - most
of the common questions have answers or pointers to answers in here.

Peter Jamieson