Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Barry Barry is offline

Default Resume Problem

I want to create a resume with a large wide colored vertical block on the
left side of the page.

The block contains the headers PROFILE, SUMMARY AND QUALIFICATIONS,
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION, AND REFERENCES.

To the right of this block is NAME
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT

Below the above are paragraphs with bulleted lists that line up with the
block hraders. A horizontal line separates each paragraph.

Can Word or some template do this? Thanks for all replies.

Barry

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Most of the résumé templates in Word use tables for layout, and that's
undoubtedly the easiest way to accomplish what you're seeking as well.
Tables don't have to have borders, and they can have shading in selected
cells as well as selective cell borders.

"Barry" wrote in message
I want to create a resume with a large wide colored vertical block on the
left side of the page.

The block contains the headers PROFILE, SUMMARY AND QUALIFICATIONS,
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION, AND REFERENCES.

To the right of this block is NAME
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT

Below the above are paragraphs with bulleted lists that line up with the
block hraders. A horizontal line separates each paragraph.

Can Word or some template do this? Thanks for all replies.

Barry

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Barry Barry is offline

Thanks Suzanne, but could you please show me how this would be set up?
Thanks again Barry
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Most of the résumé templates in Word use tables for layout, and that's
undoubtedly the easiest way to accomplish what you're seeking as well.
Tables don't have to have borders, and they can have shading in selected
cells as well as selective cell borders.

so
all may benefit.

"Barry" wrote in message
I want to create a resume with a large wide colored vertical block on the
left side of the page.

The block contains the headers PROFILE, SUMMARY AND QUALIFICATIONS,
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION, AND REFERENCES.

To the right of this block is NAME
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT

Below the above are paragraphs with bulleted lists that line up with the
block hraders. A horizontal line separates each paragraph.

Can Word or some template do this? Thanks for all replies.

Barry

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Barry -

A word of advice: Don't get too creative with your resume unless you're
applying for a job as a graphics designer or the like. KISS that resume!

(My best friend is an HR rep with a national company. I've learned a lot
from her on what *not* to do in my resume...and what *not* to say on an
interview.)

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"Barry" wrote in message
I want to create a resume with a large wide colored vertical block on the
left side of the page.

The block contains the headers PROFILE, SUMMARY AND QUALIFICATIONS,
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION, AND REFERENCES.

To the right of this block is NAME
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT

Below the above are paragraphs with bulleted lists that line up with the
block hraders. A horizontal line separates each paragraph.

Can Word or some template do this? Thanks for all replies.

Barry

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Have a look at some of the résumé templates that ship with Word. These have
two columns. You apply your shading to the left column. You can apply
horizontal borders to the cells in the second column.

"Barry" wrote in message
Thanks Suzanne, but could you please show me how this would be set up?
Thanks again Barry
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Most of the résumé templates in Word use tables for layout, and that's
undoubtedly the easiest way to accomplish what you're seeking as well.
Tables don't have to have borders, and they can have shading in selected
cells as well as selective cell borders.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Barry" wrote in message
I want to create a resume with a large wide colored vertical block on

the
left side of the page.

The block contains the headers PROFILE, SUMMARY AND QUALIFICATIONS,
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION, AND REFERENCES.

To the right of this block is NAME
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT

Below the above are paragraphs with bulleted lists that line up with

the
block hraders. A horizontal line separates each paragraph.

Can Word or some template do this? Thanks for all replies.

Barry

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I agree with your friend too. On many occasions I have spent hours sifting
through Resumes for job applicants and I can tell you that the winners are
simple and on a single, duplex sheet.

Anything longer doesn't get read. They MUST be kept simple, so only include
the MOST IMPORTANT facts in order to keep it within those boundaries.

Don't do anything flashy: just like web sites (car manufacturers please
note) anything with FLASH gets dumped. Use a simple, highly legible font.
Elaborate, fancy or over-bold fonts just don't work. Despite what font snobs
may say, Arial and TNR (10 - 12 pt) are winners on the Resume front.

If anyone says otherwise, they have never had to sort hundreds of job
applications.

Terry Farrell

"Barry" wrote in message
I want to create a resume with a large wide colored vertical block on the
left side of the page.

The block contains the headers PROFILE, SUMMARY AND QUALIFICATIONS,
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION, AND REFERENCES.

To the right of this block is NAME
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT

Below the above are paragraphs with bulleted lists that line up with the
block hraders. A horizontal line separates each paragraph.

Can Word or some template do this? Thanks for all replies.

Barry

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Daniel-San Daniel-San is offline

H(S?)RYK.

The biggest mistake people make their resume is to make it too "pretty."
"Pretty" is annoying and distracting. The myth of needing to do something to
stand out from the crowd implies that the hiring manager doesn't read the
resume. Not true. Resumes do in fact get read -- scrutinized, actually.
Remember, the hiring manager's job depends on the quality of their hires,
not the applicant's ability to choose a font. (I would add Tahoma 10 or 12
as an acceptable choice, YMMV)

Basic Word-template resumes are the easiest to read. Terry's advice
single sheet is applicable the *vast* majority of the time, but there are
occasions when you may need two pages (**NEVER** three.) If your experience
or other qualifications absolutely need two pages, and the position for
which you are applying is such that those experiences/qualifications require
explaining, then the odds are better than good it will be read.

Keep it simple, straightforward, and honest. Hiring types have a very
sensitive bullsh!t-o-meter.

Dan
(Former hiring manager -- 10K resumes read, at least.)

"Barry" wrote in message
I want to create a resume with a large wide colored vertical block on the
left side of the page.

The block contains the headers PROFILE, SUMMARY AND QUALIFICATIONS,
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION, AND REFERENCES.

To the right of this block is NAME
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT

Below the above are paragraphs with bulleted lists that line up with the
block hraders. A horizontal line separates each paragraph.

Can Word or some template do this? Thanks for all replies.

Barry

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

single sheet is applicable the *vast* majority of the time, but there are
occasions when you may need two pages (**NEVER** three.)

Terry did say "a single, duplex sheet," which I took to mean two pages,
printed front and back on a single sheet.

"Barry" wrote in message
I want to create a resume with a large wide colored vertical block on

the
left side of the page.

The block contains the headers PROFILE, SUMMARY AND QUALIFICATIONS,
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION, AND REFERENCES.

To the right of this block is NAME
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT

Below the above are paragraphs with bulleted lists that line up with

the
block hraders. A horizontal line separates each paragraph.

Can Word or some template do this? Thanks for all replies.

Barry

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I learned from the best - her bullsh!t-o-meter is calibrated daily.

I have Print Shop and you should see the hideous resume templates they have.
Oh my gawd! I wanted to barf when I noticed them. The scary thing is that
there are people out there who will try to use them when job hunting.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~

"Barry" wrote in message
I want to create a resume with a large wide colored vertical block on
the left side of the page.

The block contains the headers PROFILE, SUMMARY AND QUALIFICATIONS,
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION, AND REFERENCES.

To the right of this block is NAME
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT

Below the above are paragraphs with bulleted lists that line up with
the block hraders. A horizontal line separates each paragraph.

Can Word or some template do this? Thanks for all replies.

Barry

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Joanna Joanna is offline

I'm trying to set-up a resume'.Where do i look to do it in
entry,professional,intermediate?My computer has window vista and I'm using
office home and student2007 version

"Barry" wrote in message
I want to create a resume with a large wide colored vertical block on the
left side of the page.

The block contains the headers PROFILE, SUMMARY AND QUALIFICATIONS,
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION, AND REFERENCES.

To the right of this block is NAME
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT

Below the above are paragraphs with bulleted lists that line up with the
block hraders. A horizontal line separates each paragraph.

Can Word or some template do this? Thanks for all replies.

Barry

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I don't have Word 2007, but are Entry, Professional, and Intermediate three
install choices for Word or three résumé formats or what?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Most of the résumé templates in Word use tables for layout, and that's
undoubtedly the easiest way to accomplish what you're seeking as well.
Tables don't have to have borders, and they can have shading in selected
cells as well as selective cell borders.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Barry" wrote in message
I want to create a resume with a large wide colored vertical block on

the
left side of the page.

The block contains the headers PROFILE, SUMMARY AND QUALIFICATIONS,
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION, AND REFERENCES.

To the right of this block is NAME
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT

Below the above are paragraphs with bulleted lists that line up with

the
block hraders. A horizontal line separates each paragraph.

Can Word or some template do this? Thanks for all replies.

Barry

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

I've no idea what you mean by Entry, Intermediate or Professional. In Word
2007 you click on the Office Logo (top left corner of screen) and select
New, scroll down and select Resume for the list of templates available.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP