Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Karen Karen is offline

Default New documents automatically default to manual print tray - Word 20

Every time I begin a new document & attempt to print it, it automatically
defaults to the paper tray that requires manual feed for printing.

In other words, all saved documents are automatically printed when sent to
the printer, but new documents require me to walk to the printer and either
feed paper or change the tray.

I imagine that I need to change the settings (currently set to manual tray
for new documents) but where & how do I do this?

Thanks in advance.
--
Thanks, Karen
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Karen wrote:
Every time I begin a new document & attempt to print it, it
automatically defaults to the paper tray that requires manual feed
for printing.

In other words, all saved documents are automatically printed when
sent to the printer, but new documents require me to walk to the
printer and either feed paper or change the tray.

I imagine that I need to change the settings (currently set to manual
tray for new documents) but where & how do I do this?

Thanks in advance.

This is a variant of a common problem in which stray text gets saved in the
Normal.dot template. In your case, it's the paper tray setting that has been
saved there.

Use the procedure in
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...ocNotBlank.htm. After changing the
paper tray setting in Normal.dot, add a character or space to the body of
the template and delete it, so Word knows it has a change that needs to be
saved.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Karen Karen is offline

Default New documents automatically default to manual print tray - Wor

Thanks a bunch, Jay, it worked perfectly! FYI in Word 2007 the document is
named Normal.dot instead of Normal.dot as in earlier versions.
--
Thanks, Karen

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Karen wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Great, thanks for letting me know it worked.

Yes, Word 2007 uses Normal.dotm. But your first post never said what version
you had, so I guessed.

Karen wrote:
[...]

newsgroup so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Really this is not necessary. All that is required is to create a new Blank
Document and, without making any other changes, go to the Paper tab of Page
Setup and choose the correct tray, then click Default... and answer yes.