Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
kckc

Default How to prevent various task panes from showing?

In Word 2003, how can I prevent the 'Review Formatting' and 'Styles and
Formatting' task panes from showing when a user tries to display it?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Why? The Reveal (not Review) Formatting and Styles and Formatting task panes
offer considerable useful information. Are you ashamed of what they might
reveal?

"kckc" wrote in message
In Word 2003, how can I prevent the 'Review Formatting' and 'Styles and
Formatting' task panes from showing when a user tries to display it?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
kckc

Management wants to keep a consistency across documents based on this
template. They have specified a font that the users will use. The
requirements for this template is not to change font, font size, spacing,
etc. I already protected the styles, but was wondering if there's a better
way of doing it, such as hiding all the dialogs and panes that can trigger
these changes.

"kckc" wrote in message
In Word 2003, how can I prevent the 'Review Formatting' and 'Styles and
Formatting' task panes from showing when a user tries to display it?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The Reveal Formatting task pane just shows what formatting is applied; there
is no way to change the formatting using that task pane. The Styles and
Formatting task pane can be set to display only the approved styles; if the
document is protected for formatting, users will be able to use only those
styles, which is what is wanted, right?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Why? The Reveal (not Review) Formatting and Styles and Formatting task

panes
offer considerable useful information. Are you ashamed of what they

might
reveal?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"kckc" wrote in message
In Word 2003, how can I prevent the 'Review Formatting' and 'Styles

and
Formatting' task panes from showing when a user tries to display it?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
kckc

Correction on my part. The situation is more complicated than what I
explained. Management wants to prevent users from changing most formatting
of the styles (i.e., font color, paragraph spacing, indent). However, a user
is allowed to bold, italicize, and/or underline. I realized that if I
protect the styles, then bold, italicize, etc. will also be disallowed.
So, instead of protecting the styles, I want to prevent certain dialogs
(font, parargraph, etc.) from showing up. I already edited and locked down
the Menu Bar as well as other Toolbars that can display these dialogs or
allow these changes. However, I also need to disallow the Reveal Formatting
Pane from show up. That pane has links to the Font and other dialogs.
Is there a better approach to this? I want to protect the styles, but users
need to bold, for example.

"kckc" wrote in message
In Word 2003, how can I prevent the 'Review Formatting' and 'Styles

and
Formatting' task panes from showing when a user tries to display it?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If management wants to allow bold, italics, and underline, then include the
Strong and Emphasis character styles among those allowed, and create an
Underline character style and allow it, too.

"kckc" wrote in message
In Word 2003, how can I prevent the 'Review Formatting' and

'Styles
and
Formatting' task panes from showing when a user tries to display

it?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
kckc

I found another way I can do this. Protect the styles, and add the
WordCommands in my module (i.e., Bold, Italic, Underline, etc.).

"kckc" wrote in message
In Word 2003, how can I prevent the 'Review Formatting' and

'Styles
and
Formatting' task panes from showing when a user tries to display

it?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It would be much easier to include the character styles, assigned to the
same keyboard shortcuts (Ctrl+B, Ctrl+I, Ctrl+U); I believe this is the way
it is conventionally done.