AndyE

Default Word UK English Dictionary

Could we have a version of the UK English Dictionary that gives the correct
preferred English spelling of words such as "realize", "finalize" etc. I
know I'm an old pedant, but I find it most annoying that the dictionary gives
the alternative secondary spelling of -ise as the only option. It seems to
think that -ize is an American spelling. I commend consulting the Concise
Oxford Dictionary to see that this interpretation is incorrect.
--
AndyE

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Are you sure you have the UK dictionary enabled? When you click in the word
"realize" and go to Tools | Language | Set Language, which "flavor" of
English is selected? See
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister/LangFmt.htm

"AndyE" wrote in message
Could we have a version of the UK English Dictionary that gives the

correct
preferred English spelling of words such as "realize", "finalize" etc. I
know I'm an old pedant, but I find it most annoying that the dictionary

gives
the alternative secondary spelling of -ise as the only option. It seems

think that -ize is an American spelling. I commend consulting the Concise
Oxford Dictionary to see that this interpretation is incorrect.
--
AndyE

----------------

this
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

JRosenfeld

I use English UK as default. Check as you type accepts both -ize and -ise,
e.g. in finalize (no wavy line under either of them). If I deliberately
misspell, as feinailze and do a spell check, it offers both finalize and
finalise as options. I think that is correct as both are acceptable. When I
was growing up -ise was the preferred spelling in UK English; it is only
during the past few decades that the American spelling has come to dominate.
Word 2002 SP3 (part of Office Pro XP)

"AndyE" wrote in message
Could we have a version of the UK English Dictionary that gives the

correct
preferred English spelling of words such as "realize", "finalize" etc. I
know I'm an old pedant, but I find it most annoying that the dictionary

gives
the alternative secondary spelling of -ise as the only option. It seems

think that -ize is an American spelling. I commend consulting the Concise
Oxford Dictionary to see that this interpretation is incorrect.
--
AndyE

----------------

this
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

You can force Word to consider words misspelled (see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/Ex...ordFromDic.htm), but you'd have to
do it individually for every -ize word.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Are you sure you have the UK dictionary enabled? When you click in the

word
"realize" and go to Tools | Language | Set Language, which "flavor" of
English is selected? See
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister/LangFmt.htm

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"AndyE" wrote in message
Could we have a version of the UK English Dictionary that gives the

correct
preferred English spelling of words such as "realize", "finalize" etc.

know I'm an old pedant, but I find it most annoying that the

dictionary
gives
the alternative secondary spelling of -ise as the only option. It

seems
think that -ize is an American spelling. I commend consulting the

Concise
Oxford Dictionary to see that this interpretation is incorrect.
--
AndyE

suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click

the "I
Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button,

follow
this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and

then
click "I Agree" in the message pane.