Alistair Glover

Default cannot save word file to another network computer

When trying to save a word Doc to another computer it comes up with error
message:
The folder "\\cat d\blah blah\file name.doc" is not accessible. The folder
may be in an inaccessible location, protected with a password, or the
filename contains \ or /.

I have tried to fix this but am struggling. Cannot find any inaccessibility.
Am using Office 2003
Jay Freedman

Alistair Glover wrote:
When trying to save a word Doc to another computer it comes up with
error message:
The folder "\\cat d\blah blah\file name.doc" is not accessible. The
folder may be in an inaccessible location, protected with a password,
or the filename contains \ or /.

I have tried to fix this but am struggling. Cannot find any
inaccessibility. Am using Office 2003

Several posters over the last few days have said that they solved this
problem by uninstalling a recent security patch, KB885250. The patch is
supposed to close a vulnerability in the Server Message Block (SMB)
protocol, which is used in communication between workstations and servers.

To uninstall it, go to Start Settings Control Panel Add/Remove
Programs, select the KB885250 item, and click Remove.

If this works for you, then you'll need to guard against the vulnerability
some other way. See
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms05-011.mspx, the
"workarounds" part of the section titled "Vulnerability Details".

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

David C. Jordan

Thanks Jay. Having the same problem - that fixed it!

HOWEVER, of course, automatic update downloads it AGAIN and is waiting to
install.

How do I prevent update from EVER downloading this, or any other update AGAIN?

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Alistair Glover wrote:
[...]

David C. Jordan

I DON'T trust the users at the office to remember which update to NOT
download. Do you mean Microsoft doesn't allow you to TAG an update as
UNWANTED and ignore it FOREVER? WOW, that is rather silly.