Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Default Lose Changes to Style When Document ReOpened

If you select the problem text and press Ctrl+SpaceBar, to reset font
formatting to that of the underlying paragraph style, then what happens?

Does the grey color print? Does it display in Print Preview?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

I have the same problem:
When I save my Word 2010 document the style looks fine.
BUT when I close and reopen the file, the font colour of the style has
changed from black to grey.

If I try to edit the style it tells me that the font is black (although it
is displaying as grey). I have to change the colour of one sentence that
uses this style and then update the style to match that sentence. I have
to do this every time I open the document.

I followed Lisa's recommendation given he but that option is not
checked on my PC (Developer Tools | Templates | Document Template |
Automatically Update Document Styles)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
[email protected] pwebb@kcionline.org is offline

Thanks Stefan for response. To answer your questions:
Ctrl+SpaceBar doesn't seem to do anything
The text appears grey on the screen; in print preview and prints grey
Once corrected to black; then it is black on the screen, in print preview and prints black.

But I have just found a solution! ...
I went to "Modify style" where "Style based on" showed that the style was based on a style with font colour grey.
So I changed "Style based on" to "(no style)". I then had to edit the style to be what I wanted it to be.
Now when I close and reopen the document it is fine.
It's still strange that the problem existed but at I have a solution.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

I'm glad you got it sorted.

Note that when a style A is based on another style B, a particular setting
from B is duplicated in A until you explicitly change it in A (or until you
set the base style to "(no style)" of course).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Thanks Stefan for response. To answer your questions:
Ctrl+SpaceBar doesn't seem to do anything
The text appears grey on the screen; in print preview and prints grey
Once corrected to black; then it is black on the screen, in print preview
and prints black.

But I have just found a solution! ...
I went to "Modify style" where "Style based on" showed that the style was
based on a style with font colour grey.
So I changed "Style based on" to "(no style)". I then had to edit the
style to be what I wanted it to be.
Now when I close and reopen the document it is fine.
It's still strange that the problem existed but at I have a solution.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
[email protected] pwebb@kcionline.org is offline

Thanks Stefan. You may be interested to know I did explicitly change the font colour setting for style A, but then the error would occur on reopening the document (so there is a "bug" somewhere)
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

How annoying! :-(

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Thanks Stefan. You may be interested to know I did explicitly change the
font colour setting for style A, but then the error would occur on
reopening the document (so there is a "bug" somewhere)

Nidhitiwari Nidhitiwari is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Blom[_3_] View Post
How annoying! :-(

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Thanks Stefan. You may be interested to know I did explicitly change the
font colour setting for style A, but then the error would occur on
reopening the document (so there is a "bug" somewhere)

Great post!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

By the way, have you looked at the "Automatically update document styles"
option mentioned by Lisa in her reply?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Thanks Stefan. You may be interested to know I did explicitly change the
font colour setting for style A, but then the error would occur on
reopening the document (so there is a "bug" somewhere)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
[email protected] pwebb@kcionline.org is offline

Hi Stefan, Yes I followed Lisa's recommendation (see my original post on Jan 3)
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Hi Stefan, Yes I followed Lisa's recommendation (see my original post on
Jan 3)

Sorry, re-reading your post I realize I overlooked that.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Lisa Wilke-Thissen Lisa Wilke-Thissen is offline

Hi,

You may be interested to know I did explicitly change the font colour
setting for style A,
but then the error would occur on reopening the document (so there is a
"bug" somewhere)

you did not change the Design, you did not change the Styles Set? Did you
modify a character style, a paragraph style, or a linked style? You just
modified this one style, you did not modify the basis style?

Click into the formatted text and press SHIFT + F1. In the "Reveal
Formatting" pane enable "Distinguish style source". Then, which information
does the pane show for your text?

When opening the document by "Open and Repair": Does any error message
occur?

Your also can send me the document for analysing.

--
Cheers,
Lisa

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

If styles change when you (re-)open a document, you need to do the
following: In the Templates and Add-Ins dialog box, clear the option to
"Automatically update document styles."

To display the dialog box: First display the Developer tab on the ribbon by
selecting it at File tab | Options | Customize Ribbon. Then, on the
Developer tab, click Document Template. (These instructions apply to Word
2010 and 2013.)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP