Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jasonfahy jasonfahy is offline

Default Formatting isotopes in Word

Hello,

I'm supposed to convert a physics test into Word format, and have hit some
questions which talk about isotopes. For example, in one case I need to print
a big Th, and left of it should be a superscripted 232 and a subscripted 90.

Now the hard part is, they should be vertically aligned, not one after the
other.

The only way I can think of to do this is with a ridiculously tiny
borderless table left
of the Th. Is there a better way?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bob Mathews Bob Mathews is offline

Suzanne's answer was correct, but let me complete the picture. When
you open Equation Editor (Insert Object Microsoft Equation 3.0),
the template palette you want is in the second row. Click the third
palette button from the left, and when it opens, the template you want
is the third one in the second row. If you point to it with your
mouse, the Status Bar (the bottom of the window) will read "Subscript
and superscript to left of character". Click it. You'll notice the
cursor is flashing in the bottom template slot, so go ahead and type
the subscript (90 in your example). Press Tab and type the superscript
(232 in your example). Press Tab and type the base (a mathematical
base, that is, not a chemical base -- Th in your example). Press Esc
to exit Equation Editor and continue with the document.

If you have to do a lot of the same isotopes, MathType gives you more
functionality by letting you save these to the toolbar so you can
retrieve them with just a click. If you also compose chemical
reactions, be aware that Equation Editor gives you 6 arrows for this
purpose, but MathType gives you 27 of them. Among the reaction arrows
missing from Equation Editor are the arrows for equilibrium reactions,
arrows for imbalanced reactions, and arrows with text slots both above
and below the arrow. (More information about MathType, as well as a
30-day evaluation download at the link in my signature.)

--
Bob Mathews
Director of Training

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement