Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
amy amy is offline

Default Using SEQ fields

I posted another question on this topic last week but can't seem to find the
thread now... I need to insert a numbered list of procedural steps into a
document but I've already created one multilevel numbered list for my
headings. I was told to use the SEQ field as an autotext entry. I thought I
could figure that out on my own but after a few days of playing with it I'm
drawing a blank. Can someone please explain it or point me to another thread
that already explains the steps involved? Thanks so very much!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Just insert the desired SEQ field in the document, then select it and press
Alt+F3. Accept the offered entry name or type a different one. Whenever you
type the first few characters of the entry name, you'll be prompted to
insert the entry (assuming this is Word 2003 or earlier). More at
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customization/AutoText.htm

http://word.mvps.org

"Amy" wrote in message
I posted another question on this topic last week but can't seem to find
the
thread now... I need to insert a numbered list of procedural steps into a
document but I've already created one multilevel numbered list for my
headings. I was told to use the SEQ field as an autotext entry. I thought
could figure that out on my own but after a few days of playing with it
I'm
drawing a blank. Can someone please explain it or point me to another
thread
that already explains the steps involved? Thanks so very much!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

To insert a SEQ field you can do the following: Press Ctrl+F9; Word creates
field delimiters, { }. Type in the code.

For example, { SEQ test \s 1 } would create a sequential number (identified as
"test") restarted by Heading 1 paragraphs. To update the field at the insertion
point, press F9.

To force an update on all SEQ fields, switch to Print Preview and then back to
your favorite view. To show/hide field codes, press Alt+F9.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Amy" wrote in message
I posted another question on this topic last week but can't seem to find the
thread now... I need to insert a numbered list of procedural steps into a
document but I've already created one multilevel numbered list for my
headings. I was told to use the SEQ field as an autotext entry. I thought I
could figure that out on my own but after a few days of playing with it I'm
drawing a blank. Can someone please explain it or point me to another thread
that already explains the steps involved? Thanks so very much!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
amy amy is offline

Okay, I hate to sound totally stupid, but I've played with my document for a
few days and can't quite figure this out... I entered the SEQ field as
detailed below, but how do I save this as a style or an auto text entry? And
is it possible to create a SEQ field that has the formatting I need?
Specifically, I need a period and a tab to follow the number.

Oh, in case I haven't mentioned it already, I am using Word 2007.

Thanks tons!
Amy

"Amy" wrote in message
I posted another question on this topic last week but can't seem to find the
thread now... I need to insert a numbered list of procedural steps into a
document but I've already created one multilevel numbered list for my
headings. I was told to use the SEQ field as an autotext entry. I thought I
could figure that out on my own but after a few days of playing with it I'm
drawing a blank. Can someone please explain it or point me to another thread
that already explains the steps involved? Thanks so very much!

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You can't save it as a style. To save it as an AutoText entry, select the
inserted field, press Alt+F3, and give it a name. When you want to insert
the field, type the beginning of the entry name and, if you get an
AutoComplete tip, press Enter; otherwise, press F3. Did you read the
referenced article about AutoText?

http://word.mvps.org

"Amy" wrote in message
I posted another question on this topic last week but can't seem to
find the
thread now... I need to insert a numbered list of procedural steps
into a
document but I've already created one multilevel numbered list for my
headings. I was told to use the SEQ field as an autotext entry. I
thought I
could figure that out on my own but after a few days of playing with
it I'm
drawing a blank. Can someone please explain it or point me to another
thread
that already explains the steps involved? Thanks so very much!

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If you want a period and tab to be included with the SEQ field, you can
insert the period and tab as part of a formatting switch e.g.

{ SEQ Num \# "0. " }

While creating the switch press the tab key after the period and before the
final quote to give the space. The tab in the switch will adapt to whatever
tabs you have set. You can then save the field as an autotext or preferably
as a formatted autocorrect entry.