Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jan Groshan Jan Groshan is offline

Default Pleading Paper - Enveloopes

I use 1-28 ruled and numbered pleading paper (based on the legal pleading
template - Word 2007). My "proof of service" document includes mailing
addresses, single spaced in the document which is typed on the pleading
paper. However, when I block the mailing address and click the envelope icon
to create an envelope, the address appears double-spaced! I have a document
that includes a mailing list of 20 attorneys. Am I going to have to retype
all of their names and addresses on a separate document in order to print
out single spaced envelopes ?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I can't replicate the problem... but see if this will solve the problem for
you. I suspect that the double spacing is coming from the Envelope Address
style's Paragraph spacing settings. Modify that style so that the Paragraph
Befo and After: spacing are both set to 0, and Line Spacing: is set to
Single.

If the text is formatted as Envelope Address in the proof of service
document, do this:

1. click in the address and press Ctrl+Shift+S.

2. Verify that Envelope Address is the style shown in the Apply Styles box,
and click Modify.

3. Near the bottom of the Modify Style box, tick the "New documents based on
this template" option.

4. Click on the Format button (bottom left in the Modify dialog).

5, Click Paragraph. In the Indents and Spacing tab, set Spacing Befo and
After: both to 0. Set Line spacing: to Single.

Click OK twice.

Does that fix it?

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Jan Groshan" wrote in message
I use 1-28 ruled and numbered pleading paper (based on the legal pleading
template - Word 2007). My "proof of service" document includes mailing
addresses, single spaced in the document which is typed on the pleading
paper. However, when I block the mailing address and click the envelope
icon to create an envelope, the address appears double-spaced! I have a
document that includes a mailing list of 20 attorneys. Am I going to have
to retype all of their names and addresses on a separate document in order
to print out single spaced envelopes ?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

PS... I was ultimately able to replicate the problem, but only by first
modifying the Envelope Address style so that it had incorrect paragraph
spacing. I'm guessing that that's the problem in this case, and hence and
suggesting that you modify that style to see if it fixes your problem. If
not, then my next guess would be that the template is damaged in some way.

--

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

This would be my guess as well, since by default the Envelope Address style
is formatted as Single spacing with 0 pt Space After (specified because this
is different from Normal).

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jan Groshan Jan Groshan is offline

The Envelope Address style isn't shown as an option when I Cntrl Shift S, so
how do I access it to modify it ?

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Add an envelope to a document and click in the envelope address frame. If
you have the list configured to show style 'In Use' it will then be in the
list.
See http://www.gmayor.com/changing_envelope_layout.htm

Jan Groshan wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jan Groshan Jan Groshan is offline

OK...did that, but when I blocked the address in the document it moved it to
the envelope at the bottom of the document. I want to be able to just block
the address and have it PRINT a single-spaced envelope, without creating an
envelope at the end of the document.....as if I were blocking an address in
a letter and printing an envelope. In fact, even the return address comes
up double-spaced on the envelope unless I change the style for both address
envelope AND address return. As an added annoyance, even if I block and copy
the address and paste it to a blank page, it's STILL double-spaced.

Jan Groshan wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Graham was suggesting you add an envelope to the document just as a way of
accessing the Envelope Address and Envelope Return styles in order to modify
them. If you don't want to do that, then do it as I suggested, going through
the Manage Styles dialog. Make sure that you select the button marked "All
documents based on this template." Make sure you do this while you are in a
new Blank Document, not your pleading document (assuming it's based on a
different template), since its the styles in Normal.dotm you want to modify.

FWIW, the default Envelope Address style is single-spaced, with no space
after; apparently the problem comes only if you have installed Word 2007
over an older version.

If you copy/paste the address to a blank page, you're probably getting
Normal style on that page (which may be different from Normal in your
document); you are not pasting it in Envelope Address style (see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/styl...tChanges.html).

Jan Groshan wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Suzanne and Graham have given you two methods. But, note that the box
containing the name of the style is not just a dropdown. You can type a name
there. Thus, even without jumping through other hoops, you can just type or
paste the name -- Envelope Address -- into the style box, then click on
Modify, which magically ungrays the moment you type the last "s" in Envelope
Address.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible
Blog: http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com
Web: http://www.herbtyson.com

"Jan Groshan" wrote in message
The Envelope Address style isn't shown as an option when I Cntrl Shift S,
so how do I access it to modify it ?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jan Groshan Jan Groshan is offline

I didn't install Word 2007 over an older version. It was a new install.
Also, I've experienced this same issue in Word 2003 and Word 2000. It's
really annoying. The default Envelope Address is, as you say, already single
spaced with no space after, so I don't know why it doesn't work. I did it
from a anew blank document, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. I'm
ready to just give up and admit Bill Gates won this one !

Jan Groshan wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If you download the envelope templates you can download from my web site
work correctly?

The transfer of addresses from letter to the envelope dialog will add any
manual formatting applied to the address that you transfer. For best results
modify (or create) the 'Inside Address' paragraph style to match the
appearance of the addresses in your document. Base it on 'no style' and
apply that style in place of whatever style you are currently using.

Jan Groshan wrote:
[...]

STILL double-spaced. "Graham Mayor" wrote in
message

Jan Groshan wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jan Groshan Jan Groshan is offline

Thanks Graham, however, I don't have the problem with letters, only on
pleading-paper documents (proof of service with a list of names and
addresses).

Jan Groshan wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

By default Word will use the styles in the normal template, however if the
*document* or its template have the same style names then they will take
priority over those in the normal template.

Jan Groshan wrote:
[...]

-- Suzanne S. Barnhill

"Jan Groshan" wrote in message
OK...did that, but when I blocked the address in the document it
moved it to the envelope at the bottom of the document. I want to
be able to just block the address and have it PRINT a
single-spaced envelope, without creating an envelope at the end
of the document.....as if I were blocking an address in a letter
and printing an envelope. In fact, even the return address comes
up double-spaced on the envelope unless I change the style for
both address envelope AND address return. As an added annoyance,
even if I block and copy the address and paste it to a blank
page, it's STILL double-spaced. "Graham Mayor"