Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ben M. Schorr - MVP (OneNote) Ben M. Schorr - MVP (OneNote) is offline

Default Merge problem

Did you try running Detect & Repair? (Help menu)

--
-Ben-
Ben M. Schorr, MVP

"Gordon Biggar" wrote in message
:

For years I have been using Word programs (Office 2000 series) to access
Excel data files (e.g., names and addresses) to produce letters, mailing
labels, etc. When executing a Word merge program, I am all of a sudden
receiving the message, "Waiting for Microsoft Excel to Accept DDE Commands."
The computer then hangs up, as if in a loop. This is true for all my Word
merge programs.

What happened?

Thanks in advance.

Gordon Biggar
Houston, Texas

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Gordon,

Try repairing the Office installation via 'Add/Remove Programs' in the Windows Control Panel.

Also, have you made sure Office 2000 is fully patched? You should be running SP3 plus whatever later updates are applicable to your
setup.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Gordon Biggar" wrote in message ...
Could not run in the desired program, because the program locks up on
opening. Did run Detect & Repair in another non-merge window, but to no
avail. This locking up occurs with all Word programs that were designed to
use an Excel file for a name and address merge. Very strange.

GB

"Ben M. Schorr - MVP (OneNote)" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Gordon,

Are you sure the Excel data files haven't become corrupted? For example, do they open OK in Excel?

--
Cheers
macropod

"macropod" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon Biggar Gordon Biggar is offline

The files open normally. I might try restoring an older version of the
files, but I am doubtful.

GB

"macropod" wrote in message
[...]

Merge Problem - Suffix Problem-No Comma and Space after Last Name KathyB Microsoft Word Help 3 August 14th 08 02:40 PM
merge problem heidiloveslabs Microsoft Word Help 1 October 19th 07 05:54 AM
Problem with merge data to word document merge field DB Microsoft Word Help 1 September 14th 06 11:18 PM
merge problem jojo Mailmerge 0 October 19th 05 05:18 PM
Insert Merge Field problem with Word-Mail Merge from Excel documen Augusta E. Microsoft Word Help 2 June 20th 05 10:59 AM