Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Julie[_3_] Julie[_3_] is offline

Default Word Template problems

I have a problem re-opening a saved page of labels in Word 2007 and
displaying the text I have inserted AND the template outline.

I want to re-label my VHS collection and have bought a pack of Avery media
labels for the purpose.

In Word I've chosen 'Mailings' then 'Labels' then 'Options'. I've selected
the Avery product, clicked OK' and 'New document'. Up comes a page with a
row of video spine labels visibly displayed. I can enter text and tab down
to the next 'label' with no problems. So far so good!

The problem arises when I save the page as a template and assign a name,
e.g. "VHS labels". I can find that document in the location where it's been
saved but when I subsequently try to re-open it to continue entering more
text, (a) the outlines of the labels have disappeared from the page and (b)
the page does not appear named as "VHS labels" but as "New Microsoft Word
Document (3,4,5 or whatever). The text previously entered is still there
and visible but I want to see the outlines of the labels as they appeared
when the page was first opened and surely if "VHS labels" is selected to be
re-opened it should appear as the title of the document/template page?

Can anyone help me with getting the outlines of the labels displayed again
and explain why a Word Document and not a Word Template is opening?

Regards,

Julie

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

To see the label boundaries, use Table | Show Gridlines. The reason your
document is showing Document# as the filename is that you have saved it as a
template (.dot file). That is the way templates work; when you double-click
on a .dot file, you create a new document based on the template instead of
opening the template itself. If you want to open the template for editing,
you must right-click and choose Open.