Sean

Default word crashing

I had word 2002 and it kept crashing after being open for about 30 seconds.
No matter what other applications i had running or alone. I finally got tired
of it, uninstalled complete and reinstalled. It still did not fix the problem.

I got my office 2003 out and after unstalling the old installed the new. I
am still getting the same crash, but it only seems to appear with word.

I have all the latest updates so I know that is not it. Any suggestions?

Herb Tyson [MVP]

You say that you "checked the templates". Did you try renaming normal.dot?

Try starting Word in Safe Mode (hold down Ctrl when starting Word, and say
Yes to safe mode). Does the crash still occur? If so, then the next thing to
try would be Help - Detect and Repair. If the crash doesn't occur, then I'd
carefully go back over the
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm steps.

Note that uninstalling leaves lots of stuff in place, hence the need to see
if registry entries or templates are creating the problems.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com

Sean wrote:

I had word 2002 and it kept crashing after being open for about 30
seconds.
No matter what other applications i had running or alone. I finally got
tired
of it, uninstalled complete and reinstalled. It still did not fix the
problem.

I got my office 2003 out and after unstalling the old installed the
new. I
am still getting the same crash, but it only seems to appear with word.

I have all the latest updates so I know that is not it. Any
suggestions?

Sean

No, I do not recall renaming the .dot file. Is there more specific
instructions on doing so?

I started word while holding down CTRL for safe mode, it still crashes.

Sean wrote:

I had word 2002 and it kept crashing after being open for about 30
seconds.
No matter what other applications i had running or alone. I finally got
tired
of it, uninstalled complete and reinstalled. It still did not fix the
problem.

I got my office 2003 out and after unstalling the old installed the
new. I
am still getting the same crash, but it only seems to appear with word.

I have all the latest updates so I know that is not it. Any
suggestions?

Herb Tyson [MVP]

When you held down the Ctrl key, did you get the prompt for starting in Safe
Mode? It's not in safe mode unless you get the prompt and click Yes. You
need to keep the Ctrl key held down until Word appears on then Windows task
bar.

If you did do that and it still crashes, then it's probably an installation
issue. Have you run Help - Detect and Repair from Word's menu?

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP

Sean wrote:

I had word 2002 and it kept crashing after being open for about 30
seconds.
No matter what other applications i had running or alone. I finally
got
tired
of it, uninstalled complete and reinstalled. It still did not fix
the
problem.

I got my office 2003 out and after unstalling the old installed the
new. I
am still getting the same crash, but it only seems to appear with
word.

I have all the latest updates so I know that is not it. Any
suggestions?

Sean

Yes it started in safe mode just fine. I have also ran the detect and repair.
I think it is just more than an installation issue. It did this with both
2002 and 2003, is has to be something on my machine that deals with word
(maybe its not just word? but everything else works fine).

Although I did just open outlook and the word error came up and I sent in an
error report. Has done that twice now. Though why would word try to open when
I bring up outlook.

Sean wrote:

I had word 2002 and it kept crashing after being open for about 30
seconds.
No matter what other applications i had running or alone. I finally
got
tired
of it, uninstalled complete and reinstalled. It still did not fix
the
problem.

I got my office 2003 out and after unstalling the old installed the
new. I
am still getting the same crash, but it only seems to appear with
word.

I have all the latest updates so I know that is not it. Any
suggestions?

Graham Mayor

If it started OK in safe mode then it is a problem with associated files -
see http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm followed by
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm and work through
the troubleshooting tips. My guess is an add-in for an older version of Word
is still present.
As for Word starting with Outlook, set Outlook not to use Word as e-mail
editor. Outlook's own editor is fine and causes fewer problems.

Sean wrote:

I had word 2002 and it kept crashing after being open for about
30 seconds.
No matter what other applications i had running or alone. I
finally got
tired
of it, uninstalled complete and reinstalled. It still did not
fix the
problem.

I got my office 2003 out and after unstalling the old installed
the new. I
am still getting the same crash, but it only seems to appear
with word.

I have all the latest updates so I know that is not it. Any
suggestions?

Sean

Not sure if any of this information will help, its from the error dialog box.

AppName: winword.exe AppVer: 11.0.6568.0 AppStamp:42e178a5
ModName: hpzpm309.dll ModVer: 2.236.2.0 ModStamp:3f24dad6
fDebug: 0 Offset: 000354b3

Sean wrote:

I had word 2002 and it kept crashing after being open for about 30
seconds.
No matter what other applications i had running or alone. I finally got
tired
of it, uninstalled complete and reinstalled. It still did not fix the
problem.

I got my office 2003 out and after unstalling the old installed the
new. I
am still getting the same crash, but it only seems to appear with word.

I have all the latest updates so I know that is not it. Any
suggestions?

garfield-n-odie

The ModName suggests a problem with your Hewlett Packard printer
driver. Try deleting and reinstalling your printer in Start |
Control Panel | Printers and Faxes.

Sean wrote:

I had word 2002 and it kept crashing after being open for about 30
seconds.
No matter what other applications i had running or alone. I finally got
tired
of it, uninstalled complete and reinstalled. It still did not fix the
problem.

I got my office 2003 out and after unstalling the old installed the
new. I
am still getting the same crash, but it only seems to appear with word.

I have all the latest updates so I know that is not it. Any
suggestions?

Sean

There is no printer installed on this computer at all. Though there is an HP
printer on another machine on the same network. Do I still need to remove the
printer and readd it on the network?

Sean wrote:

I had word 2002 and it kept crashing after being open for about 30
seconds.
No matter what other applications i had running or alone. I finally got
tired
of it, uninstalled complete and reinstalled. It still did not fix the
problem.

I got my office 2003 out and after unstalling the old installed the
new. I
am still getting the same crash, but it only seems to appear with word.

I have all the latest updates so I know that is not it. Any
suggestions?

garfield-n-odie

There might not be a printer physically connected to your
computer, but you apparently have selected an HP printer as your
default printer in Start | Control Panel | Printers and Faxes.
Read item 2(c) in the article I originally suggested that you
read.

Sean wrote:

I had word 2002 and it kept crashing after being open for about 30
seconds.
No matter what other applications i had running or alone. I finally got
tired
of it, uninstalled complete and reinstalled. It still did not fix the
problem.

I got my office 2003 out and after unstalling the old installed the
new. I
am still getting the same crash, but it only seems to appear with word.

I have all the latest updates so I know that is not it. Any
suggestions?

GuidoFB

Hey there,

I've found your discussion via google entering practically the same
error code :

AppName: winword.exe AppVer: 11.0.6568.0 AppStamp:42e178a5
ModName: mssp3nl.dll ModVer: 3.0.7.6 ModStamp:4163fe51
fDebug: 0 Offset: 0000121b

I'm searching for a few days now what this error triggers and how to
avoid it, without any succes for now.

History : as a professor in ICT (cisco stuff etc.) I'm continuously
writing courses for my students. In those courses are several figures
with all kinds of natures : jpg, pdf, visio, ... Previously, with
older versions of WORD and VISIO, i've printed the figures in pdf, and
imported them in word. Just to avoid trouble. As I can expect that
these problems would be solved in newer versions with the latest
updates, for once I've tried cutting and pasting them directly.

As the course grow (now about 21Mb), 70 pages, 100 figures, it became
more and more unstabel. I've tried finishing my work on computers in
the lab with clean SW, all the patches you can find, deleting
normal.dots, deleting registry keys, saving as an RTF,... NOTHING
helps.

Is there anybody who has suggestions ?

--
GuidoFBPosted from - http://www.officehelp.in

Piet Janssen

I have the same problem after installing visio 2003. Only the office version
is 2000?
Word 2000 crashes when i do a spell check or when i edit a existing document.

Regards
Piet