Amy Baggott

Default Table of Contents Entries Referenced by a Non-Page Number

I have a document that (when it is finished) is going to consist of both text
pages, which are numbered, and inserts that are coming from other sources,
which are not. What I want to do is have them all displayed in the table of
contents in the following manner:

Move-In and Set-Up.................1
Marshalling Yard Map........Insert

My problem is that a TC field won't let me put in "Insert" as the page
number. If I set it up as an index, I can have it refer to "Insert", but
then the index compiles itself in Alphabetical order instead of the order in
which the subjects appear in the document. Any ideas?

If the inserts are mingled with the numbered pages, then this will be more
difficult. If they're not, it's simple.

1. If the inserts are all gathered together in one place (like appendixes),
then just create a list that is separate from (but following) the main TOC.
If you want to use TC fields to generate it, you can insert the list as a
TOC, or you can construct it by hand. Give it a heading such as "Inserts
(following page x)."

2. If the inserts are mingled, it will still be best to cluster them insofar
as possible so that you can put bunches of them at "stopping points" in the
text. At these points, insert as many blank pages as necessary to represent
the inserts. Put TC fields on those pages. Then the page numbers of the
inserts will be correct in the TOC (even though the pages themselves are not
numbered), and you won't confuse readers by having page numbers that are not
continuous.