Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dan

Default Hard return within a Word table cell adds a mystery row

Help! I have been creating simple tables in Word and sometimes when other
people open them, they're all misaligned.

I just discovered (by copying a Word table and pasting it into Excel) that
whenever I add a hard return within a cell, it adds a transparent row. So I
can't see the new row in Word, but I can see it in Excel. When I remove all
the hard returns from my Word table cells, the problem goes away.

Has anyone experienced this? How can I stop it? I know I've used hard
returns in Word cells in the past without any problem.

Thanks for your help,

--
db
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel

That's a quirk of pasting Word tables into Excel: Excel uses one row for
each 'paragraph line' in the source. It's got nothing to do with the rows of
the table in Word.

"Dan" wrote in message
Help! I have been creating simple tables in Word and sometimes when other
people open them, they're all misaligned.

I just discovered (by copying a Word table and pasting it into Excel) that
whenever I add a hard return within a cell, it adds a transparent row. So
can't see the new row in Word, but I can see it in Excel. When I remove
all
the hard returns from my Word table cells, the problem goes away.

Has anyone experienced this? How can I stop it? I know I've used hard
returns in Word cells in the past without any problem.

Thanks for your help,

--
db

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dan

Thanks for the response. It explains the Excel behavior but gets me back to
square one in terms of why my Word tables are getting garbled on one user's
machine.
--
db