Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Carter Carter is offline

Default Automated Date?

I am currently constructing a Letter-shell on my companies network, and on
our previous software, Lotus WordPro, you could make it so that whenever you
opened a shared document, the date showed as whatever the actual date was,
instead of being stuck on the date the document was created.

On Word however i dont seem to be able to find a way to make it produce the
same field, where in that the date auto generates based on the computers
clock.

Does anyone know of a way to create such a field?

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey Greg Maxey is offline

It is a DATE field. "Shells" in Word are called templates. While in
Rome do as the Romans do. No?

In your template insert a pair of field codes by pressing CTRL+F9. In
the braces type DATE, right click on the field and toggle field code.

On Mar 21, 12:44 pm, Carter wrote:
I am currently constructing a Letter-shell on my companies network, and on
our previous software, Lotus WordPro, you could make it so that whenever you
opened a shared document, the date showed as whatever the actual date was,
instead of being stuck on the date the document was created.

On Word however i dont seem to be able to find a way to make it produce the
same field, where in that the date auto generates based on the computers
clock.

Does anyone know of a way to create such a field?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey Greg Maxey is offline

I answered your original question twice (once on purpose and once by
mistake).

I wanted to offer some more information of DATE fields. I think most
people find DATE fields annoying. If you create a letter last month
you want it dated last month. If you open that later today to read it
or print it wouldn't you want it to retain its original date? It is
better to put a CREATEDATE in your template. Letters based on that
template will be dated the date they are created and retain that date.