Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
charhager charhager is offline

Default Cannot find "saved" document editted from an email attachment

I opened a word (97-2003, ".doc") document from gmail.com last night and
began editting it. I keep saving the document and clicking ctrl+s
periodically. At the end of the night, I closed the document to be able to
resend it to myself via email. I had no idea that it wasn't saved on the
desktop. I have search every single temp file and temporary internet folder
on my C drive and cannot find the "saved" document ANYWHERE. I am panicing
because it is a graduate school application, that's due today. Where can I
find this document?

In addition, there is a chance I found the document but whatever it is is is
saved as a ".dat" file. I have Windows 2007 and have tried microsoft word,
notepad, word processor, adobe pdf, etc. to try to open it but when I do it
looks like computer code. If this is the document how do I get it to show up
like a regular word document? PLEASE HELP! Thank you

WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Cannot find "saved" document editted from an email attachment

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble finding your edited document. It sounds like you may have accidentally saved it in a different location or with a different file name. Here are some steps you can take to try and locate the document:
  1. Check your email attachments: If you opened the document from an email attachment, it's possible that the edited version was saved back to the email as an attachment. Check your sent folder to see if you sent the edited version to yourself.
  2. Search your computer: Use the search function on your computer to search for the file name or any keywords from the document. Make sure to search all drives and folders, including hidden folders. You can also try searching for all Word documents modified on the date you were working on the document.
  3. Check the auto-recovery folder: Word has an auto-recovery feature that saves a copy of your document every few minutes. Check the auto-recovery folder to see if there is a recent copy of your edited document. To find the auto-recovery folder, go to File Options Save and look for the "AutoRecover file location" field.
  4. Look for temporary files: If you were working on the document for a while, there may be temporary files saved on your computer. Look for files with the extension ".tmp" or "~" in the file name. These files may be located in the same folder as the original document or in a temporary folder.

Regarding the ".dat" file you found, it's possible that it is the edited document but the file extension was changed. Try renaming the file with a ".doc" extension and see if you can open it in Word. If that doesn't work, you can try opening the file in a text editor like Notepad to see if you can find any recognizable text. If you do find text, you can copy and paste it into a new Word document and format it as needed.

I hope these tips help you locate your edited document. Good luck with your graduate school application!
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You should save the attachment to the hard drive before editing it. You may
still be able to find the modified file in your Temporary Internet Files
folder, though.

See also http://www.gmayor.com/outlook_attachments.htm (which of course
won't be directly applicable to your situation).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"charhager" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jazz Jazz is offline

There is generally a default file location where all your attachments from
GMail would be saved if you didn't choose a directory on purpose. To find
out where that is, just open any attachment from GMail - doesn't matter what
type and doesn't have to be the same one - and do a filesave as. When you
do this, it will show you at the top of the save as dialog box, the drop down
location - this will list the folder default location. Your file you edited
should be in that location.

"charhager" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Idaho Word Man Idaho Word Man is offline

I agree with both Stefan and Jazz, but it isn't always that easy. In Outlook,
the temporary files folder is hidden and very hard to find. I don't know if
gmail works the same way, but if it does, here's how to find it.

If you can't find the directory where gmail saves documents, open a
DIFFERENT e-mail attachment from gmail (mail yourself something if you have
to). Then do what Jazz said and use the Save As option to check where gmail
is putting temporary files. Write down the entire address, which will
probably start with something like C://Documents and Settings/ . . . . Make
sure you copy the address exactly, including any spaces.

Then type that address into a Word file. Select the entire thing,
right-click it, and create a hyperlink, with the exact text in the "Address:"
field. When it turns into a hyperlink, click on it and it should take you to
the temporary directory where the file is located.

Fred

"charhager" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You can copy/paste paths from dialogs into Word or other dialogs. Much more
accurate than writing them down.

http://word.mvps.org