TWVM TWVM is offline
Junior Member

Default Heading 4 not occuring properly in the TOC

I am using heading 4 in my document. I have 12 items using the same heading 4 format.
1.2.2.1
1.2.2.2
1.2.2.3
1.2.2.4
1.2.2.5
1.2.2.6
1.2.2.7
1.2.2.8
1.2.2.9
1.2.2.10
1.2.2.11
1.2.2.12

When I generate a TOC for the document, the text from 1.2.2.10 is shifting a bit more inside. The alignment shifts from this point.

Can anyone suggest a solution for this issue?

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It happens because when a tab stop isn't specified, Word uses the automatic tab stops, maybe 1/2-inch, but since the two-digit entries extend beyond the first of them -- or beyond a tab stop that _is_ set -- it takes the text to the next tab stop.

You need to adjust the position of the tab stop for the indentation. Move it far enough to the right to clear the two-digit level 4 entries.

You don't say which version you're using, but do it so that the change is made not just to the affected paragraphs (if you do it that way, the changes will go away when you update the ToC), but to the Style that has a name something like TOCLevel4. (It's likely you can access a panel for doing that by pressing Ctrl-Shift-Alt-S; right-click on the style name and choose "Modify.")

On Thursday, July 19, 2012 7:16:06 AM UTC-4, TWVM wrote:
I am using heading 4 in my document. I have 12 items using the same
heading 4 format.
1.2.2.1
1.2.2.2
1.2.2.3
1.2.2.4
1.2.2.5
1.2.2.6
1.2.2.7
1.2.2.8
1.2.2.9
1.2.2.10
1.2.2.11
1.2.2.12

When I generate a TOC for the document, the text from 1.2.2.10 is
shifting a bit more inside. The alignment shifts from this point.

Can anyone suggest a solution for this issue?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Suzanne S. Barnhill[_3_] Suzanne S. Barnhill[_3_] is offline

By default, all TOC styles (in all versions of Word) are set to update
automatically, so making the change in just one TOC 4 entry should fix it
for all.

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Not in _my_ ToCs!

On Thursday, July 19, 2012 12:44:27 PM UTC-4, Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
[...]

"Modify.&quot

On Thursday, July 19, 2012 7:16:06 AM UTC-4, TWVM wrote:
> I am using heading 4 in my document. I have 12 items using the same
> heading 4 format.
> 1.2.2.1
> 1.2.2.2
> 1.2.2.3
> 1.2.2.4
> 1.2.2.5
> 1.2.2.6
> 1.2.2.7
> 1.2.2.8
> 1.2.2.9
> 1.2.2.10
> 1.2.2.11
> 1.2.2.12
>
> When I generate a TOC for the document, the text from 1.2.2.10 is
> shifting a bit more inside. The alignment shifts from this point.
>
> Can anyone suggest a solution for this issue?
>
> Thanks!

TWVM TWVM is offline
Junior Member

Thank you so much. It worked well. I am using MS Word 2010.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter T. Daniels View Post
[...]

TWVM TWVM is offline
Junior Member

I had to do it for TOC2, 3, 4 and 5. I don't know if I am doing it correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne S. Barnhill[_3_] View Post
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Although "Automatically update" usually isn't helpful, it does save some
time if kept enabled for the TOC styles.

Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

On 2012-07-20 05:22, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
Not in _my_ ToCs!

On Thursday, July 19, 2012 12:44:27 PM UTC-4, Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
By default, all TOC styles (in all versions of Word) are set to update
automatically, so making the change in just one TOC 4 entry should fix it
for all.

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in message

It happens because when a tab stop isn't specified, Word uses the automatic
tab stops, maybe 1/2-inch, but since the two-digit entries extend beyond the
first of them -- or beyond a tab stop that _is_ set -- it takes the text to
the next tab stop.

You need to adjust the position of the tab stop for the indentation. Move it
far enough to the right to clear the two-digit level 4 entries.

You don't say which version you're using, but do it so that the change is
made not just to the affected paragraphs (if you do it that way, the changes
will go away when you update the ToC), but to the Style that has a name
something like TOCLevel4. (It's likely you can access a panel for doing that
by pressing Ctrl-Shift-Alt-S; right-click on the style name and choose
"Modify.&quot

On Thursday, July 19, 2012 7:16:06 AM UTC-4, TWVM wrote:
> I am using heading 4 in my document. I have 12 items using the same
> heading 4 format.
> 1.2.2.1
> 1.2.2.2
> 1.2.2.3
> 1.2.2.4
> 1.2.2.5
> 1.2.2.6
> 1.2.2.7
> 1.2.2.8
> 1.2.2.9
> 1.2.2.10
> 1.2.2.11
> 1.2.2.12
>
> When I generate a TOC for the document, the text from 1.2.2.10 is
> shifting a bit more inside. The alignment shifts from this point.
>
> Can anyone suggest a solution for this issue?
>
> Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Suzanne S. Barnhill[_3_] Suzanne S. Barnhill[_3_] is offline

Then presumably you have modified your TOC styles.