iainfs1 iainfs1 is offline
Junior Member

Default Complex list style

Hi,

I need a rather complex list style for an outline numbering system. I have the following styles:

Heading 1 (H1)
Heading 2 (H2)
Second-level Paragraph (P2)
Third-level Paragraph (P3)

I need to incorporate them into an outline numbering scheme that works, for example, as follows.

Code:
1 A main heading (H1)
      1.1 A subheading (H2)
           1.1.1 A paragraph of body text at level three (P3)
           1.1.2 Another paragraph of body text (P3)
2 A second main heading (H1)
      2.1 A paragraph of body text at level two (P2)
      2.2 And another one (P2)
      2.3 But this is a heading! (H2)
           2.3.1 And here's a body paragraph (P3)
i.e. all paragraphs and headings are numbered, and things at level 2 are sometimes headings and sometimes body text. Furthermore, only the headings should have ToC entries, so the ToC for the above should only have entries

1
1.1
2
2.3

*******ised system I know. Unfortunately I don't have a choice about the numbering scheme; the documents come from a toolkit and the numbreing needs to be preserved. Hope somebody can help anyway

Thanks
iainfs
iainfs1 iainfs1 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainfs1 View Post
Hi,

I need a rather complex list style for an outline numbering system. I have the following styles:
Issue solved. See http://www.msofficeforums.com/word/1...ist-style.html
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lisa Wilke-Thissen Lisa Wilke-Thissen is offline

Hi,

[Word version?]

Code:
--------------------
1 A main heading (H1)
1.1 A subheading (H2)
1.1.1 A paragraph of body text at level three (P3)
1.1.2 Another paragraph of body text (P3)
2 A second main heading (H1)
2.1 A paragraph of body text at level two (P2)
2.2 And another one (P2)
2.3 But this is a heading! (H2)
2.3.1 And here's a body paragraph (P3)

regarding the scheme above your list style could define:

1st level:
Numbering 1, 2, 3 | Link level to style H1
2nd level:
Numbering 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 | Link level to style H2
3rd level:
Numbering 1.1.1, 1.1.2 | Link level to style P3

Style P2: Without numbering, just a simple paragraph style based on H2,
and not used in the list style.

The TOC has to be built by styles H1, H2.

(Alternatively you could use paragraph styles H1, H2, P2, P3 without
being linked to a list style. The list style then could be applied to
any paragraph where needed. But I think, the first method would be
better.)

--
Cheers
Lisa [MS MVP Word]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Note that not just the level-3 headings, but also _some_ of the
level-2 headings are on ordinary text. Can two different paragraph
styles be linked to a single list level?

On Aug 22, 3:13*pm, "Lisa Wilke-Thissen" wrote:
Hi,

[Word version?]

Code:
--------------------
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lisa Wilke-Thissen Lisa Wilke-Thissen is offline

Hi Peter,

Note that not just the level-3 headings,
but also _some_ of the level-2 headings
are on ordinary text.

as I understood, P3 is only a 3rd level *body text* style - not used as
heading. So no problem.
H2/P2 are used as heading and body text. From the example I guessed: H2
is only used for 2nd level heading, P2 is only used for 2nd level body
text.
Then my solution should be correct.
But maybe, I misunderstood the poster.

Can two different paragraph styles
be linked to a single list level?

No. You can link only one paragraph style to a list level. But you can
use that paragraph style as base style for another paragraph style
which is *not* linked to the list style.
Therefore I suggested to set P2 "based on style H2". But P2 must not be
linked to the list style.

--
Cheers
Lisa [MS MVP Word]

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Ah. Now it's clear. A bit surprising that list properties can "leak
through" in that way.

On Aug 22, 4:19*pm, "Lisa Wilke-Thissen" wrote:
Hi Peter,

[...]

Lisa [MS MVP Word]- Hide quoted text -

iainfs1 iainfs1 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Wilke-Thissen View Post

Can two different paragraph styles
be linked to a single list level?

No. You can link only one paragraph style to a list level. But you can
use that paragraph style as base style for another paragraph style
which is *not* linked to the list style.
Therefore I suggested to set P2 "based on style H2". But P2 must not be
linked to the list style.
Thanks, all sorted now! Turns out the way to make this work is to first define heading styles and make a list style out of them (as at http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...ering2003.html or appropriate for the Word version), and then for the body paragraph styles make new styles from scratch "Based On" the corresponding level heading style (and removing the bold, say). They will inherit the numbering but not get ToC entries.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lisa Wilke-Thissen Lisa Wilke-Thissen is offline

Hi,

Turns out the way to make this work
is to first define heading styles and
make a list style out of them

define/modify all paragraph and character styles you need. But do not
include formatting that has to be defined by the list style (number
style, left indent, hanging indent).
At least you create the list style, where you have to setup each level,
as Shauna Kelly described.

and then for the body paragraph
styles make new styles from scratch

Why? There are more than 120 built-in styles. Why creating new ones
instead of modifying exixting ones?

They will inherit the numbering but not get ToC entries.

When creating a TOC, you can choose by "Options" what paragraphs have
to be inserted:
http://wordfaqs.mvps.org/TOCTips.htm

--
Cheers
Lisa [MS MVP Word]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

This is also discussed in the MSOffice forum in this thread:
http://www.msofficeforums.com/word/1...ist-style.html.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"iainfs1" wrote in message ...

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lisa Wilke-Thissen Lisa Wilke-Thissen is offline

"Stefan Blom" schrieb

This is also discussed in the MSOffice forum in this thread:
http://www.msofficeforums.com/word/1...ist-style.html.

multi posting is not very nice ...

--
Lisa [MS MVP Word]