Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
KRB - Guelph KRB - Guelph is offline

Default Section break adjusts margin

I set my Word 2003 document margins to 0.12", 0.5", 0.25" and 0.25" (my
printer's minimums) so I could create a landscape trifold flyer. I needed to
insert a section break and when I did so, the side margin changed to 0.5".
None of my graphics in this 1/2" space will print. If I change the paper size
from Letter to Legal, Word allows me to use the 0.12" margin, but this throws
my columns in Section 2 out of whack. Any idea how I can get my original
margin settings back?
P.S. I have never had this problem with previous documents.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?S1JCIC0gR3VlbHBo?=,

I set my Word 2003 document margins to 0.12", 0.5", 0.25" and 0.25" (my
printer's minimums) so I could create a landscape trifold flyer. I needed to
insert a section break and when I did so, the side margin changed to 0.5".
None of my graphics in this 1/2" space will print. If I change the paper size
from Letter to Legal, Word allows me to use the 0.12" margin, but this throws
my columns in Section 2 out of whack. Any idea how I can get my original
margin settings back?
P.S. I have never had this problem with previous documents.

There's a chance this document's internal structures have been damaged...

First thing I'd try would be to save the document in the XML file format. Close
it. Open it again. Any change?

If that doesn't help, then I wouldn't waste any more time "fiddling" with it.
I'd create a new file. Insert the necessary section breaks. Make the sections
settings (margins, columns, page layout) then copy the text across (without the
section breaks or the last paragraph mark).

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
KRB - Guelph KRB - Guelph is offline

Thanks, but this isn't the only document affected by this problem.

I'm doing a series of documents where the front of the document has very
small margins (to make room for graphics, etc.), but the back has default
print margins. I've tried recreating the file, but it didn't help. It seems
to make no difference if I work in landscape or portrait, as soon as I create
the section break, the smallest margin in Section 1 changes to 0.5", which is
much too big.

What really confuses me is that changing the paper type in Section 1 from
Letter to Legal eliminates the problem (i.e. the smallest margin remains at
its original size).

Weird, huh?

Hi ?B?S1JCIC0gR3VlbHBo?=,