A Microsoft Word forum. Microsoft Office Word Forum - WordBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » Microsoft Office Word Forum - WordBanter forum » Microsoft Word Newsgroups » Page Layout
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Why use Continuous Section Breaks always instead of Next Page?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old July 25th 07, 05:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
mmhmm
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3
Default Why use Continuous Section Breaks always instead of Next Page?

I once worked in Word Processing Centers and their template used only
Continuous Section Breaks after their Section 1 section - NEVER Next Page
section breaks. I never asked why, and now I need to set up a template for
someone. I set it up with a "Section 1" (before which is Front Cover, TOC
etc.) and then continuous, same as previous section breaks (with different
first page for Section Headers) following on from this for each regular
section. The page title style on each page has a "page break before" it.
Everything works hunky-dory, but the person asked me why they shouldn't use
Next Page section breaks. I told them it was for copying and pasting between
their (often huge) reports - to preserve the page numbering and headers and
footers etc. I also think that Next Page breaks include the phantom space at
the top of the page that you get with hard page breaks. However, truthfully,
I'm not sure. What's the answer - why did I get taught originally to do it
this way? Are there any advantages to doing it the way I did it? Is this an
"old" way of thinking - were there corruption issues with it that newer
versions of Office have now cleared up? We are using Office 2003.
Ads
  #2  
Old July 26th 07, 12:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8,430
Default Why use Continuous Section Breaks always instead of Next Page?

I don't see why continuous sections should be "better" than the other
types... I do see a problem with them: usually, the first page header (and
footer) of such a section is hidden, unless the section break happens to be
at the end of a page.

For more on sections, see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting...thSections.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP


"mmhmm" wrote in message
news
I once worked in Word Processing Centers and their template used only
Continuous Section Breaks after their Section 1 section - NEVER Next Page
section breaks. I never asked why, and now I need to set up a template
for
someone. I set it up with a "Section 1" (before which is Front Cover, TOC
etc.) and then continuous, same as previous section breaks (with different
first page for Section Headers) following on from this for each regular
section. The page title style on each page has a "page break before" it.
Everything works hunky-dory, but the person asked me why they shouldn't
use
Next Page section breaks. I told them it was for copying and pasting
between
their (often huge) reports - to preserve the page numbering and headers
and
footers etc. I also think that Next Page breaks include the phantom space
at
the top of the page that you get with hard page breaks. However,
truthfully,
I'm not sure. What's the answer - why did I get taught originally to do
it
this way? Are there any advantages to doing it the way I did it? Is this
an
"old" way of thinking - were there corruption issues with it that newer
versions of Office have now cleared up? We are using Office 2003.











  #3  
Old July 26th 07, 04:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
mmhmm
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3
Default Why use Continuous Section Breaks always instead of Next Page?

Thanks for the reply. I had read all the articles on the mvp site on section
breaks (and templates) before creating the template. My reasoning was that
as section "types" read forward, then as users will move things around within
documents created in this template, then they will never lose the formatting
or headers and footers if everything is the same type of section break. For
example if they move a two column page (made with two continuous section
breaks) to before a "next page" section break, then the last continuous
section break of the two columns will take on the format of a Next Page
section break, and insert a blank page - therefore messing up their
pagination. However, if the section ends on a continuous section break as
you said, then headers and footers are included and everything reads as
normal. As long as I have a "Section 1" where everything is set and that
never moves, then it seems to work fine no matter what I do.

I just wanted a reason behind what I had been taught back in the late 90s
which seemed contrary to everything I'd been hearing and reading now. I
guess the best way to do it is to double check by creating a quick template
with a mix of section styles and see how that functions as I cut and paste,
move things around and insert things into it from other files.

Cheers for all the help.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

I don't see why continuous sections should be "better" than the other
types... I do see a problem with them: usually, the first page header (and
footer) of such a section is hidden, unless the section break happens to be
at the end of a page.

For more on sections, see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting...thSections.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP


"mmhmm" wrote in message
news
I once worked in Word Processing Centers and their template used only
Continuous Section Breaks after their Section 1 section - NEVER Next Page
section breaks. I never asked why, and now I need to set up a template
for
someone. I set it up with a "Section 1" (before which is Front Cover, TOC
etc.) and then continuous, same as previous section breaks (with different
first page for Section Headers) following on from this for each regular
section. The page title style on each page has a "page break before" it.
Everything works hunky-dory, but the person asked me why they shouldn't
use
Next Page section breaks. I told them it was for copying and pasting
between
their (often huge) reports - to preserve the page numbering and headers
and
footers etc. I also think that Next Page breaks include the phantom space
at
the top of the page that you get with hard page breaks. However,
truthfully,
I'm not sure. What's the answer - why did I get taught originally to do
it
this way? Are there any advantages to doing it the way I did it? Is this
an
"old" way of thinking - were there corruption issues with it that newer
versions of Office have now cleared up? We are using Office 2003.












  #4  
Old July 27th 07, 10:44 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8,430
Default Why use Continuous Section Breaks always instead of Next Page?

Now I see your point... Indeed, if the sections share all other properties,
then the type will be crucial, of course. In other words, what you are
saying is this: "Since the type of section for (say) text columns added to
the selection will always be Continuous, let's make all sections that type."

A different approach would be not to insert the "main" section breaks (the
ones between chapters) until editing is complete. That way, it will be less
likely that things get messed up, regardless of how many people edit the
document.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP


"mmhmm" wrote in message
...
Thanks for the reply. I had read all the articles on the mvp site on
section
breaks (and templates) before creating the template. My reasoning was
that
as section "types" read forward, then as users will move things around
within
documents created in this template, then they will never lose the
formatting
or headers and footers if everything is the same type of section break.
For
example if they move a two column page (made with two continuous section
breaks) to before a "next page" section break, then the last continuous
section break of the two columns will take on the format of a Next Page
section break, and insert a blank page - therefore messing up their
pagination. However, if the section ends on a continuous section break as
you said, then headers and footers are included and everything reads as
normal. As long as I have a "Section 1" where everything is set and that
never moves, then it seems to work fine no matter what I do.

I just wanted a reason behind what I had been taught back in the late 90s
which seemed contrary to everything I'd been hearing and reading now. I
guess the best way to do it is to double check by creating a quick
template
with a mix of section styles and see how that functions as I cut and
paste,
move things around and insert things into it from other files.

Cheers for all the help.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

I don't see why continuous sections should be "better" than the other
types... I do see a problem with them: usually, the first page header
(and
footer) of such a section is hidden, unless the section break happens to
be
at the end of a page.

For more on sections, see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting...thSections.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP


"mmhmm" wrote in message
news
I once worked in Word Processing Centers and their template used only
Continuous Section Breaks after their Section 1 section - NEVER Next
Page
section breaks. I never asked why, and now I need to set up a template
for
someone. I set it up with a "Section 1" (before which is Front Cover,
TOC
etc.) and then continuous, same as previous section breaks (with
different
first page for Section Headers) following on from this for each regular
section. The page title style on each page has a "page break before"
it.
Everything works hunky-dory, but the person asked me why they shouldn't
use
Next Page section breaks. I told them it was for copying and pasting
between
their (often huge) reports - to preserve the page numbering and headers
and
footers etc. I also think that Next Page breaks include the phantom
space
at
the top of the page that you get with hard page breaks. However,
truthfully,
I'm not sure. What's the answer - why did I get taught originally to
do
it
this way? Are there any advantages to doing it the way I did it? Is
this
an
"old" way of thinking - were there corruption issues with it that newer
versions of Office have now cleared up? We are using Office 2003.















  #5  
Old July 27th 07, 08:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
mmhmm
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3
Default Why use Continuous Section Breaks always instead of Next Page?

Yes - exactly. Thanks very much for confirming it - my approach seemed so
contrary to everything I was reading, even in the manuals for law firms and
complex Word templates. I can now show my boss something more than my shaky
conviction!

The other approach would work too, but I don't think it's good for us as
documents are never "final" really - there will always be users who will take
elements of previous documents for new ones, rather than build from scratch.

Thanks again.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

Now I see your point... Indeed, if the sections share all other properties,
then the type will be crucial, of course. In other words, what you are
saying is this: "Since the type of section for (say) text columns added to
the selection will always be Continuous, let's make all sections that type."

A different approach would be not to insert the "main" section breaks (the
ones between chapters) until editing is complete. That way, it will be less
likely that things get messed up, regardless of how many people edit the
document.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP


"mmhmm" wrote in message
...
Thanks for the reply. I had read all the articles on the mvp site on
section
breaks (and templates) before creating the template. My reasoning was
that
as section "types" read forward, then as users will move things around
within
documents created in this template, then they will never lose the
formatting
or headers and footers if everything is the same type of section break.
For
example if they move a two column page (made with two continuous section
breaks) to before a "next page" section break, then the last continuous
section break of the two columns will take on the format of a Next Page
section break, and insert a blank page - therefore messing up their
pagination. However, if the section ends on a continuous section break as
you said, then headers and footers are included and everything reads as
normal. As long as I have a "Section 1" where everything is set and that
never moves, then it seems to work fine no matter what I do.

I just wanted a reason behind what I had been taught back in the late 90s
which seemed contrary to everything I'd been hearing and reading now. I
guess the best way to do it is to double check by creating a quick
template
with a mix of section styles and see how that functions as I cut and
paste,
move things around and insert things into it from other files.

Cheers for all the help.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

I don't see why continuous sections should be "better" than the other
types... I do see a problem with them: usually, the first page header
(and
footer) of such a section is hidden, unless the section break happens to
be
at the end of a page.

For more on sections, see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting...thSections.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP


"mmhmm" wrote in message
news I once worked in Word Processing Centers and their template used only
Continuous Section Breaks after their Section 1 section - NEVER Next
Page
section breaks. I never asked why, and now I need to set up a template
for
someone. I set it up with a "Section 1" (before which is Front Cover,
TOC
etc.) and then continuous, same as previous section breaks (with
different
first page for Section Headers) following on from this for each regular
section. The page title style on each page has a "page break before"
it.
Everything works hunky-dory, but the person asked me why they shouldn't
use
Next Page section breaks. I told them it was for copying and pasting
between
their (often huge) reports - to preserve the page numbering and headers
and
footers etc. I also think that Next Page breaks include the phantom
space
at
the top of the page that you get with hard page breaks. However,
truthfully,
I'm not sure. What's the answer - why did I get taught originally to
do
it
this way? Are there any advantages to doing it the way I did it? Is
this
an
"old" way of thinking - were there corruption issues with it that newer
versions of Office have now cleared up? We are using Office 2003.















  #6  
Old July 30th 07, 08:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8,430
Default Why use Continuous Section Breaks always instead of Next Page?

But note that using old documents as a starting point for new ones is not the
best approach. In the long run, it contributes to document corruption. If
some portions of text must be reused, you can store them as AutoText entries
instead.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP


"mmhmm" wrote:

Yes - exactly. Thanks very much for confirming it - my approach seemed so
contrary to everything I was reading, even in the manuals for law firms and
complex Word templates. I can now show my boss something more than my shaky
conviction!

The other approach would work too, but I don't think it's good for us as
documents are never "final" really - there will always be users who will take
elements of previous documents for new ones, rather than build from scratch.

Thanks again.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

Now I see your point... Indeed, if the sections share all other properties,
then the type will be crucial, of course. In other words, what you are
saying is this: "Since the type of section for (say) text columns added to
the selection will always be Continuous, let's make all sections that type."

A different approach would be not to insert the "main" section breaks (the
ones between chapters) until editing is complete. That way, it will be less
likely that things get messed up, regardless of how many people edit the
document.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP


"mmhmm" wrote in message
...
Thanks for the reply. I had read all the articles on the mvp site on
section
breaks (and templates) before creating the template. My reasoning was
that
as section "types" read forward, then as users will move things around
within
documents created in this template, then they will never lose the
formatting
or headers and footers if everything is the same type of section break.
For
example if they move a two column page (made with two continuous section
breaks) to before a "next page" section break, then the last continuous
section break of the two columns will take on the format of a Next Page
section break, and insert a blank page - therefore messing up their
pagination. However, if the section ends on a continuous section break as
you said, then headers and footers are included and everything reads as
normal. As long as I have a "Section 1" where everything is set and that
never moves, then it seems to work fine no matter what I do.

I just wanted a reason behind what I had been taught back in the late 90s
which seemed contrary to everything I'd been hearing and reading now. I
guess the best way to do it is to double check by creating a quick
template
with a mix of section styles and see how that functions as I cut and
paste,
move things around and insert things into it from other files.

Cheers for all the help.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

I don't see why continuous sections should be "better" than the other
types... I do see a problem with them: usually, the first page header
(and
footer) of such a section is hidden, unless the section break happens to
be
at the end of a page.

For more on sections, see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting...thSections.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP


"mmhmm" wrote in message
news I once worked in Word Processing Centers and their template used only
Continuous Section Breaks after their Section 1 section - NEVER Next
Page
section breaks. I never asked why, and now I need to set up a template
for
someone. I set it up with a "Section 1" (before which is Front Cover,
TOC
etc.) and then continuous, same as previous section breaks (with
different
first page for Section Headers) following on from this for each regular
section. The page title style on each page has a "page break before"
it.
Everything works hunky-dory, but the person asked me why they shouldn't
use
Next Page section breaks. I told them it was for copying and pasting
between
their (often huge) reports - to preserve the page numbering and headers
and
footers etc. I also think that Next Page breaks include the phantom
space
at
the top of the page that you get with hard page breaks. However,
truthfully,
I'm not sure. What's the answer - why did I get taught originally to
do
it
this way? Are there any advantages to doing it the way I did it? Is
this
an
"old" way of thinking - were there corruption issues with it that newer
versions of Office have now cleared up? We are using Office 2003.















 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Continuous Section breaks, Next page section breaks, headers and f Chris K. Page Layout 8 June 3rd 08 02:57 PM
Section Breaks Change From Continuous To Page Derek Hart Microsoft Word Help 1 April 25th 06 01:53 PM
Why does word change my odd page section breaks to continuous? jensterne Page Layout 1 January 9th 06 09:08 PM
Section Breaks Question: Inserts a Continuous section break - why? Wesley45 Microsoft Word Help 3 November 7th 05 09:40 PM
How do I create continuous section breaks within columns? Travis Bryant Page Layout 3 September 30th 05 12:47 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 Microsoft Office Word Forum - WordBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.