Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ebentall ebentall is offline

Default Saving a template so it opens as a unsaved doc

Hi all, Using ancient Word 97, so bear with me!

I have created and saved a template for a letterhead. When I open it
through Explorer, it opens an unsaved document based on the template I have
created (which is how I expect templates to respond!). However, when I, or
anyone else opens it through Word (File, Open etc) then it opens the template
to edit that, rather than a new document, which is what I DON'T want it to
do! I need to be able to edit the doc but I want anyone else to just be able
to use the letterhead for their own letters, not to edit the template.

Hope this makes sense! ANY help gratefully received!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

Having not used 97 since 2000 came out, so my memory may fail me.
Try using File, New instead of Open.
This will give you the templates to choose from and this will open a new
document based on the template and not the template itself. So long as your
new template is saved in the User Templates location, this can be found under
the Tools, Options, File Locations dialog.
Hope this helps
DeanH

"ebentall" wrote:

Hi all, Using ancient Word 97, so bear with me!

I have created and saved a template for a letterhead. When I open it
through Explorer, it opens an unsaved document based on the template I have
created (which is how I expect templates to respond!). However, when I, or
anyone else opens it through Word (File, Open etc) then it opens the template
to edit that, rather than a new document, which is what I DON'T want it to
do! I need to be able to edit the doc but I want anyone else to just be able
to use the letterhead for their own letters, not to edit the template.

Hope this makes sense! ANY help gratefully received!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ebentall ebentall is offline

Hi Dean,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I failed to mention this is for work
rather than standalone personal use. Being part of this network restricts
the use of the template section to all but authorised templates. This is
just for a minority of users.

Any other thoughts...?!!!!

Ed

"ebentall" wrote:

Hi all, Using ancient Word 97, so bear with me!

I have created and saved a template for a letterhead. When I open it
through Explorer, it opens an unsaved document based on the template I have
created (which is how I expect templates to respond!). However, when I, or
anyone else opens it through Word (File, Open etc) then it opens the template
to edit that, rather than a new document, which is what I DON'T want it to
do! I need to be able to edit the doc but I want anyone else to just be able
to use the letterhead for their own letters, not to edit the template.

Hope this makes sense! ANY help gratefully received!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

As per Doug Robbins previous posting:

You can create a folder somewhere on your network and on each machine, set
the Workgroup Templates location (ToolsOptionsFile Locations) to that
folder.
Be aware though, if you do this, you will not be able to update the template
if any user has a document open that was created from that template.
A better method is discussed in the article "Distributing macros to other
users" at:
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Macros...buteMacros.htm
Best of luck
DeanH

"ebentall" wrote:

Hi all, Using ancient Word 97, so bear with me!

I have created and saved a template for a letterhead. When I open it
through Explorer, it opens an unsaved document based on the template I have
created (which is how I expect templates to respond!). However, when I, or
anyone else opens it through Word (File, Open etc) then it opens the template
to edit that, rather than a new document, which is what I DON'T want it to
do! I need to be able to edit the doc but I want anyone else to just be able
to use the letterhead for their own letters, not to edit the template.

Hope this makes sense! ANY help gratefully received!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Unfortunately, if your template is not saved in the default Templates folder
or a subfolder, it will not appear in the File New dialog. But you can still
right-click on any template in the Open dialog and select New. It's more
trouble than double-clicking, but unfortunately, this is the way Word works.