Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected] creakinator@gmail.com is offline

Default Copying Docs with templates From computer to computer

I created a template that contains the outline numbering styles,
toolbars and such that I want to use in documents that many people at
work will be using.

This is my problem- How can I share this 'master' document with others
so they can write the manuals with the outline numbering that I want
them to use?

I saw when I copied the directory containing all my manuals to my USB
drive so I could work on it at home the styles became the styles that
were on my computer. So that Heading 1 style from my document turned
into Heading 1 style on my computer. Something happened. What? and
how do I stop from happening. Most folks at work will just copy the
document from the main 'shared' drive to their computer - will the
template I used for the document stay or will the normal.dot corrupt
it?

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks for your help

Christy K.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

You need to share your template (and this must be a real template--a *.dot
file--not just a sample document) with the other users. See these articles
for more information:

What do Templates and Add-ins store?
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...latesStore.htm

What is the relationship between a Microsoft Word document and its template?
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/temp...ons/index.html

What happens when I send my document to someone else? Will Word mess up my
formatting?
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/shar...matChange.html

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected] creakinator@gmail.com is offline

Thank you. So could I put my template in the workgroup template
folder? But how do I protect it so no one but me can change it? Can
templates be password protected? If so, just right click it and make
it read only?

I may have more questions as I go along. This is my first foray into
templates and styles. Using them has made my manual writing easier
but I need to make this foolproof and so no one can change the styles
I've set up in my template.

Thank you.

Christy K

On Feb 24, 6:54 am, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
You need to share your template (and this must be a real template--a *.dot
file--not just a sample document) with the other users. See these articles
for more information:

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

You can protect the template with a "password to modify." Putting it in the
workgroup template folder (if one exists) sounds like a good idea, but since
I work at a standalone computer, I'm not really up on these issues.

ups.com...