Lynda Sierra

Default Templates

I work on multiple long research report documents (350-500 pgs ea.) a month.
Most of these documents originally were thesis or dissertation documents.
Some of these students get totally carried away with style sheets, almost
every line is a different style. They create a style for everything you can
imagine. By the time I get these reports, I only have a few days to convert
them to readable reports with specific headings, sections, etc. I know I can
apply a template (which I have a specific template for the report format),
however, it does not save me from having to reapply a style to every
paragraph, heading, etc. Part of the problem is that most of the report has
tons of elaborate equations, and these cannot be messed with. Has anyone a
solution to applying the report template and overriding the template that the
student used? I've searched everywhere that I can think of in Microsoft's
knowledge base.
--
Lynda S
Word Heretic

G'day Lynda Sierra ,

www.editorium.com has several tools to assist in this endeavor.

Steve Hudson - Word Heretic

Without prejudice

Lynda Sierra reckoned:

[...]

Daiya Mitchell

If they have used styles in some sort of systematic way, you can Find and
Replace one style with another, which may help you speed it up. The Style
Area pane may also be useful, as it lists the styles for each paragraph in a
pane on the left (turn on in Normal view via Tools | Options, View, set a
number in the Style Area Width box), making it easier to see what you need
to do. Later versions of Word (what version are you using?) also have the
ability to let you select all text that has certain formatting--ask how if
that sounds useful.

Alternatively, if you are doing the same thing every month, that should put
you in a decent position to distribute your template to the students and do
some basic training.

On 12/13/04 1:47 PM, "Lynda Sierra" wrote:

[...]

Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/