Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
e125 e125 is offline

Default Finding Adverbs

I want to identify and highlight all the adverbs in my document. Any
suggestions on how Word's Find function can help me accomplish this?

Many thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

You could easily search for -ly adverbs, but Word has no way to recognize
any of the rest.

"e125" wrote in message
I want to identify and highlight all the adverbs in my document. Any
suggestions on how Word's Find function can help me accomplish this?

Many thanks.

Michael Tardie Michael Tardie is offline
Junior Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by e125 View Post
I want to identify and highlight all the adverbs in my document. Any
suggestions on how Word's Find function can help me accomplish this?

Many thanks.
From Allen Wyatt's Word Tips - this may help:

Consider the following macro:
Sub FindAdverbs()
Dim i As Integer
Dim CurrentString As String

For i = 1 To ActiveDocument.Words.Count
CurrentString = Trim(ActiveDocument.Words(i).Text)
If Right(CurrentString, 2) = "ly" Then
With ActiveDocument.Words(i)
.Italic = Not .Italic
.Bold = Not .Bold
End With
End If
Next i
End Sub

This macro searches the entire document for any word that ends in ly. If it finds one, the word is made bold and italics. This makes it easy to spot probable adverbs within a document. If you run the macro a second time, those same words are converted back to regular text.

Source: http://wordribbon.tips.net/T011486_S...d_Adverbs.html

Remember that there are also 'flat adverbs' - adverbs that do not end in the -ly suffix. For a list of adverbs of degree, manner, place, and time - including ones that do not end in -ly - see The English Club's adverbs section at https://www.englishclub.com/vocabulary/adverbs.htm .

finding updates for mac book collector Microsoft Word Help 1 July 25th 08 07:27 PM
Finding a Backspace Dave New Users 19 August 8th 06 08:00 PM
Finding Product ID on the CD Lilman New Users 6 May 11th 06 02:01 PM
FINDING changes after Compare RJB Microsoft Word Help 3 March 21st 06 11:29 PM
Finding the path abrown Mailmerge 1 July 28th 05 06:56 PM