Frank Martin

Default Intractable cut & paste problem.

I scan textbooks and save the result in Word2000 as "unformatted" text.

If I want to send the result via email the text has a space between each
line, and I have to cut these out before sending.
Is there a better way?
Please help, Frank

macropod

Hi Frank,

The problem may be related to your OCR software. If it's putting a carriage
return at the end of each line, then what you're getting in Word is a
separate paragraph for each line.

If that's the case, you should be able to use Word's Find/Replace function
to replace these with spaces, but you'll need to sort out how you're going
to preserve true paragraph breaks. The usual technique, if the true
paragraph breaks are represented by pairs of carriage returns, is to replace
the paired carriage returns with a unique character, then replace the rest
with spaces, followed by replacing the unique characters with carriage
returns.

Cheers

"Frank Martin" wrote in message
I scan textbooks and save the result in Word2000 as "unformatted" text.

If I want to send the result via email the text has a space between each
line, and I have to cut these out before sending.
Is there a better way?
Please help, Frank

mpt

Frank, I created a macro to remove carriage returns from the end of a line
and replace it with a space. I assigned Ctrl-alt-down arrow to it. It
works well, tho it sometimes skips down one line too many. But it's a
relatively easy way to strip out the offending CRs.

Here's the macro:

Sub Stripreturns()
'
' Stripreturns Macro
' Macro recorded January 11, 2004
'
Selection.EndKey Unit:=wdLine
Selection.TypeText Text:=" "
Selection.Delete Unit:=wdCharacter, Count:=1
Selection.MoveDown Unit:=wdLine, Count:=1
Selection.MoveLeft Unit:=wdCharacter, Count:=1
End Sub

It helps in editing your text to show the CRs by pressing Ctrl-shift-*.

Richard
"Revered by the common man."