Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Anand

Default Setting up Tabs and Indentation to write programs in Word.

Hi,

Is it possible to set up a style that is convenient for writing programs in
MS Word ? In particular, I have two requirements not satisfied by the "Plain
Text" style:
1) I want the tab key to correspond to 4 spaces
2) When say enter from a given line, the cursor should position itself where
the previous line started, with spaces upto that point. To understand my
context, the code I want to type out is going to look like this:
FunctionName() {
Line1();
Line2();
}

Any help or pointers most appreciated.

Thanks,
Anand.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Create a style in which you have the paragraph formatted with tabs and
indents that meet your requirements. You will also need to define the font
used by the style to a non-proportional spaced font (such as Courier New)

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Anand" aanandgAThotmail.nospam.com wrote in message
Hi,

Is it possible to set up a style that is convenient for writing programs
in
MS Word ? In particular, I have two requirements not satisfied by the
"Plain
Text" style:
1) I want the tab key to correspond to 4 spaces
2) When say enter from a given line, the cursor should position itself
where
the previous line started, with spaces upto that point. To understand my
context, the code I want to type out is going to look like this:
FunctionName() {
Line1();
Line2();
}

Any help or pointers most appreciated.

Thanks,
Anand.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Anand

Hi Doug,

Actually my question was about how to setup such a Style - the options under
"Modify Style" dont let me set up the two parameters I have indicated below.
For example, I cannot seem to replace tabs with spaces. And when I hit
"enter" I would like for the cursor to not go to the left margin as it does
now (say in Plain Text).

Thanks,
Anand.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

I think Doug's point is that if you use a monospaced font, you can set a tab
stop equivalent to a certain number of spaces. For example, 12 pt Courier
New is equivalent to 10 pitch, so half an inch equals five spaces. But
instead of using spaces OR tabs to indent the text, use an indent or hanging
indent. For the example you gave

FunctionName() {
Line1();
Line2();

you an use a style with a hanging indent at the position where you want
Line1 and Line2. Instead of pressing Enter, press Shift+Enter to insert a
line break.