Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
mcp6453 mcp6453 is offline

Default Show Gridlines

If I click on Show Gridlines in a document I received that contains a
table, the gridlines do not appear. To make sure that something was not
configured incorrectly in my installation of Word, I created a new
document with a table. Show Gridlines works as expected. What is
different about the two documents? It's actually handy to keep the
gridlines from appearing. Word 2003.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Greg Maxey Greg Maxey is offline

On Feb 16, 9:02 am, mcp6453 wrote:
If I click on Show Gridlines in a document I received that contains a
table, the gridlines do not appear. To make sure that something was not
configured incorrectly in my installation of Word, I created a new
document with a table. Show Gridlines works as expected. What is
different about the two documents? It's actually handy to keep the
gridlines from appearing. Word 2003.

Gridlines will not show if they are "covered" by a border. This
includes any border that is the same color as the application
background. This is easy enough to achieve on your own PC and hit and
miss on someone else's PC.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
mcp6453 mcp6453 is offline

Greg Maxey wrote:
On Feb 16, 9:02 am, mcp6453 wrote:
If I click on Show Gridlines in a document I received that contains a
table, the gridlines do not appear. To make sure that something was not
configured incorrectly in my installation of Word, I created a new
document with a table. Show Gridlines works as expected. What is
different about the two documents? It's actually handy to keep the
gridlines from appearing. Word 2003.

Gridlines will not show if they are "covered" by a border. This
includes any border that is the same color as the application
background. This is easy enough to achieve on your own PC and hit and
miss on someone else's PC.

Ahh. The grid color was set to white. Didn't know you could do that. Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

On Feb 16, 10:21 am, mcp6453 wrote:
Greg Maxey wrote:
On Feb 16, 9:02 am, mcp6453 wrote:
If I click on Show Gridlines in a document I received that contains a
table, the gridlines do not appear. To make sure that something was not
configured incorrectly in my installation of Word, I created a new
document with a table. Show Gridlines works as expected. What is
different about the two documents? It's actually handy to keep the
gridlines from appearing. Word 2003.

Gridlines will not show if they are "covered" by a border. This
includes any border that is the same color as the application
background. This is easy enough to achieve on your own PC and hit and
miss on someone else's PC.

Ahh. The grid color was set to white. Didn't know you could do that. Thanks!

Not quite. The border color was set to white. The gridline color is
"always" the same light shade of grey. If a border exists (any color
border) then it will cover the gridlines and keep them from showing.
In your case, the table appeared borderless and gridlineless (probably
not a word) because both the table borders and the application window
was colored white.