Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Paul LeBlanc Paul LeBlanc is offline

Default Maintain Formatting during copy paste

I have a user with a problem in Word 2003. She has a template with multiple
tables that are copied over into a new document. Both the template and the
new document are setup with Bookman Old Style as the default font but when
she copies the tables she needs for the new report Word will change the font
in some of the cells (but not all of them) to Times New Roman. It also
changes some of the cells to ALL UPPERCASE without any apparent rhyme or
reason. The template is actually a standard Word document that just contains
the tables frequently used.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

How did you change the default font? How were the cells formatted? Using
table styles, paragraph styles, or direct formatting?

If you are referring to a *true* template (*.dot file), I don't understand
why tables need to be copied? *Creating* documents from the template (via
File | New) would seem easier.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Paul LeBlanc" wrote in message
I have a user with a problem in Word 2003. She has a template with multiple
tables that are copied over into a new document. Both the template and the
new document are setup with Bookman Old Style as the default font but when
she copies the tables she needs for the new report Word will change the
font
in some of the cells (but not all of them) to Times New Roman. It also
changes some of the cells to ALL UPPERCASE without any apparent rhyme or
reason. The template is actually a standard Word document that just
contains
the tables frequently used.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Paul LeBlanc Paul LeBlanc is offline

Stefan,
This is my wife's work computer and her department issued a document with
all the tables they are supposed to use in their reports in a standard word
document. ( All in Bookman Old Style ) She does not use all of the tables in
every report but just copies over the ones she needs for that particular
case. I set the default font in her copy of Word (using the font picker and
clicking the set as default button ) so that it always starts a new report
with Bookman Old Style per her departments requirement for reports.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Setting the default font in Word means to modify the font settings of the
Normal style (and this style is applied to most of the text in a Word
document unless you explicitly choose another style). Have you tried to
select the affected table cells and then reapply the Normal style? You can
use the Ctrl+Shift+N shortcut.

--

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Paul LeBlanc Paul LeBlanc is offline

Can she just select the table and try Ctrl+Shift+N?
Also that does not explain why it happens

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Paul LeBlanc Paul LeBlanc is offline

That sounds like a great idea, but the help menu says nothing about how to do
it, only how to insert them.
I assume she would go to the original document and select the table but then
what?
Also if it works she would want to share them with her co-workers
BTW the original problem only occurs if she has already been typing in the
report, if the document is blank the paste works fine, and no she does no
special formatting as she types ( No Clue about doing that ). What she knows
about Word she got from me and I only work in Access and Excel

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

I assume you're referring to the statement that "AutoText entries are a
great way to store specially formatted blank tables"? You can save anything
you want as an AutoText entry. Many people want to save a blank table as a
workaround for the problems with table styles or AutoFormats, but you can
equally well save a table with content.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Another thought: instead of copying and pasting tables, could she save
them
as AutoText entries?

"Paul LeBlanc" wrote in
message

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

"Paul LeBlanc" wrote in message
Can she just select the table and try Ctrl+Shift+N?

Yes.

Also that does not explain why it happens

If styles or direct formatting has been applied to (some of) the table cells
in the source document, it will be brought into the target document when
copying (and the format actually displayed could very well be different
depending on the style hierarchy, for example). Applying the Normal style
should fix that.

But, as Suzanne wrote, using AutoText entries would be a lot easier. Just be
sure that they are formatted correctly (without undesired formatting or
styles) when created; otherwise, the underlying issue wouldn't be resolved.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

And the contents of cells can be formatted with paragraph styles.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP