Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PatLuja PatLuja is offline

Default Probable bug in Find (Word 2003)

Hello all,

I've found a probable bug in Find of Word 2003:

In a non-empty document, press CTRL-F to open Find.
Search for an existing string, you will find it.
Press CTRL-N, you will not detect any visible changes.
Try to search for the string again. You will not find it. Even if you close
and reopen Find and search again, you will not find it.
Press CTRL-N again and you will find your string again.

Can anyone tell me what CTRL-N in the Find dialogue is used for?
If it is a bug, can anyone tell me where I can hand in this bug to
Microsoft? (Or is this the right place?)

Thank you kindly in advance.

With kind regards,
Patrick Luja
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It's not a bug. Rather an undocumented feature, that toggles the
funtionality of the EditFind dialog.

If that dialog does not however have the focus, it causes a new document to
be created of the same type as the active document.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"PatLuja" wrote in message
Hello all,

I've found a probable bug in Find of Word 2003:

In a non-empty document, press CTRL-F to open Find.
Search for an existing string, you will find it.
Press CTRL-N, you will not detect any visible changes.
Try to search for the string again. You will not find it. Even if you
close
and reopen Find and search again, you will not find it.
Press CTRL-N again and you will find your string again.

Can anyone tell me what CTRL-N in the Find dialogue is used for?
If it is a bug, can anyone tell me where I can hand in this bug to
Microsoft? (Or is this the right place?)

Thank you kindly in advance.

With kind regards,
Patrick Luja

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PatLuja PatLuja is offline

Dear Mr. Robbins,

Thank you kindly for your helpfull reply.

With kind regards,
Patrick Luja

"PatLuja" wrote in message
Hello all,

I've found a probable bug in Find of Word 2003:

In a non-empty document, press CTRL-F to open Find.
Search for an existing string, you will find it.
Press CTRL-N, you will not detect any visible changes.
Try to search for the string again. You will not find it. Even if you
close
and reopen Find and search again, you will not find it.
Press CTRL-N again and you will find your string again.

Can anyone tell me what CTRL-N in the Find dialogue is used for?
If it is a bug, can anyone tell me where I can hand in this bug to
Microsoft? (Or is this the right place?)

Thank you kindly in advance.

With kind regards,
Patrick Luja

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Klaus Linke Klaus Linke is offline

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
What functionality does it toggle?

Up to Word 2000 or 2002, it toggled Find to match only "New" text, that is,
text that was added after "Track Changes" had been turned on.
Using Ctrl+N once more toggled it to only find "Not new" text.

It was a pretty nifty feature, and I was disappointed when it was gone in
Word 2003.
Now I see it still works, but the Find dialog just doesn't display it any
more.

Klaus

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Weird! Thanks, Klaus, that was something I'd never heard. But then I almost
never use Track Changes, either.

http://word.mvps.org

"Klaus Linke" wrote in message
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
What functionality does it toggle?

Up to Word 2000 or 2002, it toggled Find to match only "New" text, that
is, text that was added after "Track Changes" had been turned on.
Using Ctrl+N once more toggled it to only find "Not new" text.

It was a pretty nifty feature, and I was disappointed when it was gone in
Word 2003.
Now I see it still works, but the Find dialog just doesn't display it any
more.

Klaus

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
Weird! Thanks, Klaus, that was something I'd never heard. But then I
almost never use Track Changes, either.

I just checked Word 2007, and Ctrl+N still works.

It seems a bug that the status line under "Find what" doesn't show
"New"/"Not new" any more in Wd2003/2007.
Maybe it wasn't even documented internally at MS, and forgotten.

Klaus

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Klaus Linke Klaus Linke is offline

BTW...

If it is a bug, can anyone tell me where I can hand in this bug
to Microsoft? (Or is this the right place?)

I don't know... Maybe Suzanne or Doug can help with that?
I'd prefer if the dialog would show the "New"/"Not new" again, rather than
to remove the feature.

Klaus