Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
SuzieofSanne SuzieofSanne is offline

Default Restarting pagenumbering multiple times

I'm making a document in which multiple other documents are combined.
Between every document there is a section break next-page or odd-page,
depending on which document follows.

Now every document needs its own page numbering.
I started at the bottom document (Doc1), this document contains a
section break continuous on the first page. SO I made a textbox and put
the anchor after the section break continuous. In the textbox I have
page {page} of {sectionpages}. If I put the page number in the footer,
section pages will not work correct. Because that is in the first
section of that document, it will always be 1. Then I restarted the
numbering so {page} will start at 1. On the following pages I just have
page} of {sectionpages} in the footer and that works correct.

The document above that (Doc2) contains no page numbering on the first
page, but I put page {page} of {sectionpages} on the second (and
following) pages, in the header. I restarted numbering and that works.
The end of this document contains a section break next page.

The document above that (Doc3) is one page, with a section break
continuous on it, but this could become more pages. At the end of this
document there's a section break odd page. As with Doc1 I put the page
numbering on that first page in a textbox, and on the following pages in
the footer, and I restarted numbering. This works correct.

The problem now is, that in Doc2 the {sectionpages} are wrong. They now
show a number too much (4 instead of 3). When Doc3 gets longer then 1
page (the section break odd page gets to page 2 of that doc) the
{sectionpages} in Doc2 work correct again (3).

How do I solve this? I guess the problem is two section breaks on the
first page of Doc3, but they are necessary, so I can't remove them.

--
SuzieofSanne
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

The easiest way to fix this is to avoid continuous section breaks; that way,
you will have no problems with the SECTIONPAGES fields.

If for some reason you must have continuous section breaks, you can use SET
fields to store the page count of the relevant sections; then insert REF
fields to display the page count in the appropriate footer. For example:

{ SET pagecountsection2 { SECTIONPAGES } }

in section 2 would store the page count for that section in a variable named
pagecountsection2. { REF pagecountsection2 } would display the stored value
in the footer where you want it.

To insert each pair of field delimiters, press Ctrl+F9. Type the code as
shown. Press F9 to update fields. Whenever you want to show/hide field
codes, press Alt+F9.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP