FrankL FrankL is offline
Junior Member

Default REF \p Switch: language setting

Hi,

I am using a german version of Office 2010, writing english documents.

I want to insert a REFerence that automatically expands to "above" or "below".

Problem: it always prints out a german version "oben" or "unterhalb".

I tried to change the language of the field itself (Alt-F9) as well as the result.
More weird: it prints different _german_ versions of "unterhalb" when using different _english_ language flavours:

German:
"unterhalb" / "oben"

English (Großbritannien, i.e. UK):
"unterhalb" / "oben"

English (US):
"unten" / "oben"

I have already read some threads here. The thread "PAGEREF \p Switch in DE, SV, SK, and PL" (http://www.wordbanter.com/showthread.php?p=425643) seems to be most related. But it looks like nobody there has had any problems changing the language for their PAGEREF-Tests...

What can I do?

Best Regards
Frank
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

If you also add the \* CHARFORMAT switch to the PAGEREF field, before
formatting the field in English, does that help?

Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

FrankL FrankL is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Blom[_3_] View Post
If you also add the \* CHARFORMAT switch to the PAGEREF field, before
formatting the field in English, does that help?
No, unfortunately not.
I verified that CHARFORMAT is effective by also applying some character formatting to the "R" character of REF. Style is correctly used, but language does not change.

I have also tried exchanging REF by PAGEREF - same behaviour.

Finally I have even changed system language settings, default location, keyboard layout, number format etc. to English(US) - no change to the REF field.

It also happened that field expansion was slightly instable: the result changed between first and second update ("F9") between "unterhalb" and "unten", then stayed stable. But I don't know how to exactly reproduce this.

For me it feels like a bug in Word, but maybe I have missed something else?

A workaround would be a nested field like
{ IF { REF ...}="unte*" "below" "above" }
or for PAGEREF
{ IF { PAGEREF ...}="unte*" "below" { IF { PAGEREF ... }="oben" "above" "on page {PAGEREF without \p...}" } }
and place a HYPERLINK on the result (Ctrl-K) as required.
... but this tends to be too complicated for everyday use

Regards - Frank

Last edited by FrankL : July 17th 12 at 08:33 AM Reason: title was missing
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

It does sound like a bug, yes. I haven't seen a Knowledge Base article
on the subject, though. :-(

Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP