Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
charles charles is offline

Default showing chapter numbers with page number when scrolling

I want to have chapter numbers show with the page numbers when I scroll
through a document. I can't seem to get this to happen consistently. I
format the chapter numbers as headings and scroll by page, but word
displays the chapter number inconsistently. I can't seem to frame the
question successfully in help.

TIA for help with this. I've been struggling with it for a long time.

- charles
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You can't customize the way Word displays information when scrolling through
a document, I'm afraid.

On the other hand, if you are trying to add chapter numbers with page
numbers (so that this setup prints and displays in headers, or footers, and
in the TOC), see http://word.mvps.org/faqs/numbering/chapternumber.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

charles wrote in message ...
I want to have chapter numbers show with the page numbers when I scroll
through a document. I can't seem to get this to happen consistently. I
format the chapter numbers as headings and scroll by page, but word
displays the chapter number inconsistently. I can't seem to frame the
question successfully in help.

TIA for help with this. I've been struggling with it for a long time.

- charles

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
charles charles is offline

Thanks, but I must not be making myself clear. My Word displays the page
number in a box to the right when I scroll through a document. In some
documents it also displays, in the same box, the chapter number--sometimes.

I've tried formatting the chapter headings in various ways, and I think
that's the key, because sometimes that seems to do the trick, at least
temporarily. But I haven't figured out how to control it. Word isn't so
capricious that it will do things like this at random, I assume. So I must
not know the correct way to get this to happen. That's the information I'm
looking for.

thanks,
- charles

"Stefan Blom" wrote in
:

You can't customize the way Word displays information when scrolling
through a document, I'm afraid.

On the other hand, if you are trying to add chapter numbers with page
numbers (so that this setup prints and displays in headers, or
footers, and in the TOC), see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/numbering/chapternumber.htm.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

As I wrote, Word offers no control over the little "scroll box." Personally,
I haven't noticed any inconsistencies, though.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

charles wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
charles charles is offline

"Stefan Blom" wrote in
:

As I wrote, Word offers no control over the little "scroll box."
Personally, I haven't noticed any inconsistencies, though.

Do you know what it looks for when it displays chapter numbers? It must
identify them somehow.

thanks,
- charles

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The page number displayed reflects what is displayed by the PAGE field in
the document. At least this is the case with Word 2010 and 2013.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

charles wrote in message ...
"Stefan Blom" wrote in
:

As I wrote, Word offers no control over the little "scroll box."
Personally, I haven't noticed any inconsistencies, though.

Do you know what it looks for when it displays chapter numbers? It must
identify them somehow.

thanks,
- charles

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
charles charles is offline

"Stefan Blom" wrote in
:

The page number displayed reflects what is displayed by the PAGE field
in the document. At least this is the case with Word 2010 and 2013.

But where does Word 2007 get the chapter number that it (sometimes)
displays? Knowing that would probably solve my problem.

thanks,
- charles
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I guess Word makes use of a mechanism similar to the STYLEREF field, but I
don't know for certain...

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

charles wrote in message ...
"Stefan Blom" wrote in
:

The page number displayed reflects what is displayed by the PAGE field
in the document. At least this is the case with Word 2010 and 2013.

But where does Word 2007 get the chapter number that it (sometimes)
displays? Knowing that would probably solve my problem.

thanks,
- charles

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lisa Wilke-Thissen Lisa Wilke-Thissen is offline

Hi Charles,

But where does Word 2007 get the chapter
number that it (sometimes) displays?
Knowing that would probably solve my problem.

your chapters are not numbered, but when scrolling a chapter number is
shown?
When scrolling Word usually shows beginning of those paragraphs which are
formatted with an outline level.

--
Cheers,
Lisa

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
charles charles is offline

"Lisa Wilke-Thissen" wrote in
:

Hi Lisa,

I do have chapter numbers, and I'd like them to be shown. In some
documents, Word shows them, in others not. I thought outline-level styles
might be involved so I checked and all my chapter numbers in the document
that doesn't show them are Heading 1 style which is outline level 1. That's
what's driving me crazy. Because in some other docs, they do show.

thanks,
- charles

Hi Charles,

But where does Word 2007 get the chapter
number that it (sometimes) displays?
Knowing that would probably solve my problem.

your chapters are not numbered, but when scrolling a chapter number is
shown?
When scrolling Word usually shows beginning of those paragraphs which
are formatted with an outline level.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lisa Wilke-Thissen Lisa Wilke-Thissen is offline

Hi Charles,

I do have chapter numbers, and I'd like them to
be shown. In some documents, Word shows them,
in others not. I thought outline-level styles
might be involved so I checked and all my chapter
numbers in the document that doesn't show them
are Heading 1 style which is outline level 1. That's
what's driving me crazy. Because in some other docs,
they do show.

are those headings placed within a table
Can you see those headings in the navigation pane?

--
Cheers,
Lisa
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I think you may be onto something here... It appears that the "scroll pop-up
box" omits heading numbers for headings inside table cells.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Lisa Wilke-Thissen" wrote in message
Hi Charles,

I do have chapter numbers, and I'd like them to be shown. In some
documents, Word shows them, in others not. I thought outline-level styles
might be involved so I checked and all my chapter numbers in the document
that doesn't show them are Heading 1 style which is outline level 1.
That's what's driving me crazy. Because in some other docs, they do show.

are those headings placed within a table
Can you see those headings in the navigation pane?

--
Cheers,
Lisa

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
charles charles is offline

"Lisa Wilke-Thissen" wrote in news:bab8enFpjj9U1
@mid.individual.net:

Hi Charles,

I do have chapter numbers, and I'd like them to
be shown. In some documents, Word shows them,
in others not. I thought outline-level styles
might be involved so I checked and all my chapter
numbers in the document that doesn't show them
are Heading 1 style which is outline level 1. That's
what's driving me crazy. Because in some other docs,
they do show.

are those headings placed within a table
Can you see those headings in the navigation pane?

Hi Lisa,

They're not in tables. Each is at the top of a page with the Heading 1
style.

I don't know what you mean by "the navigation pane" I'm ashamed to admit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The Navigation pane replaced the Document Map in Word 2010 (and later).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP