Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
LCP121 LCP121 is offline

Default How do I index subentries into one main entry?

Was anyone able to answer the question posted on June 2nd the index repeating
the main entry with just one subentry under each rather than accumulating
all the
subentries under one main entry? I am working on a long document and cannot
figure out why the subentries do not all appear under one main entry. I even
copied the entry so it is exact.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?TENQMTIx?=,

Was anyone able to answer the question posted on June 2nd the index repeating
the main entry with just one subentry under each rather than accumulating
all the
subentries under one main entry? I am working on a long document and cannot
figure out why the subentries do not all appear under one main entry. I even
copied the entry so it is exact.

If you copied, watch out for additional spaces. If *anything* is different, to
even the smallest degree, you'll get an additional entry. Turning on the display
of non-printing characters (the backwards P) helps.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

SedonaLin SedonaLin is offline
Junior Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy M. View Post
Hi ?B?TENQMTIx?=,
[color=blue][i]
Was anyone able to answer the question posted on June 2nd the index repeating
the main entry with just one subentry under each rather than accumulating
all the
subentries under one main entry?
"Sections" of my index break to repeat the heading above each sub entry, then list the entries by page number order, lowest first. Even when I copy and paste the exact same entry on random pages throughout the book.

While they are mostly consistent, the sections that change (break) sometimes reverse. Trails was bad but Agriculture was good. Now Agricultural is messed up and Trails are good. Homesteaders once looked perfect. Now each homesteader has his own main entry and subentry.

Windows 8. Office 2013. About 2 months old.

Clues?