Dan

Default Open Mail Merge Doc from MS Access

When I open a Word mail merge doc using code in an Access db a second
instance of the Access database is opened. Is there any way to prevent this
from happening?
Peter Jamieson

First, if you are changing the text in the Windows title bar in your Access
application, if possible, change your Access datbase properties or whatever
so that it uses the default title and see if that helps.

Otherwise, it depends. For one thing, Word can use different connection
methods to get its data from Access:
a. DDE - in all versions of (Windows) Word from 97 to 2003. The default in
b. ODBC - in all versions of (Windows) Word from 97 to 2003
c. OLEDB - only Word 2002 and 2003

DDE is the only one that opens a copy of Access. The others use the
underlying Jet database engine to get the data. In some cases you /have/ to
use DDE because the relevant features are only available when Word is using
Access (rather than Jet) to get its data. In other cases, Word can get its
data via Jet, as long as there are no sharing problems. For example, you
have to use DDE if your data source is a parameter query or uses
user-defined functions written in Access VBA, and in some other cases.

So it may be worth trying to get your Word merge document to open its data
source using ODBC (or OLEDB if available). From your description it sounds
as if you are probably using Word 97 or 2000, in which case, when you
connect to the Access data source in the Open Data Source dialog box, you
should check the "Select Method" box. You will then see an extra dialog box
which lets you choose DDE or ODBC, as long as ODBC is installed on your
system.

Peter Jamieson

"Dan" wrote in message
When I open a Word mail merge doc using code in an Access db a second
instance of the Access database is opened. Is there any way to prevent
this
from happening?

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?RGFu?=,

When I open a Word mail merge doc using code in an Access db a second
instance of the Access database is opened. Is there any way to prevent this
from happening?

Using a DDE connection, I presume? Sometimes, you can make this stop by
removing any customized title bar you've assigned to the Access database
(Tools/Options dialog box).

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org